Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Mormons: Was Joseph Fielding Smith's prophecy that man would never walk on the moon Divinely Inspired?

May 14, 1961 - Apostle Joseph Fielding Smith announces to stake conference in Honolulu:

"We will never get a man into space. This earth is man's sphere and it was never intended that he should get away from it."

Smith, the Twelve's president and next in succession as LDS President, adds:

"The moon is a superior planet to the earth and it was never intended that man should go there. You can write it down in your books that this will never happen."

This discourse was given while he was the "prophet".

The funny part is that after Apollo 15's journey to the moon, the astronaut team brought JFS a Utah State Flag that they had taken with them to the moon. They gave him the flag in 1971 as a token of his "failed prophecy".

I'm not saying JFS needs to be perfect; I'm saying that the LDS Church claims that "the prophet cannot lead you a stray. God won't permit it". Joseph Smith also said that a prophet is only a prophet when acting as such; when speaking "in the name of the Lord".

Since JFS closed his talk "in the name of Jesus Christ", and since he was a "prophet, seer and revelator"; it would seem to me, then, that according to LDS theology, this statement and prophecy would HAVE to be divinely inspired.

• J T
    Favorite Answer

Let me see if I read your question right. First you said "Apostle" Joseph Fielding Smith said it in conference. Then in the third paragraph you said he was the twelve's president. Then in the third paragraph you said he was the "prophet".

In 1961 He was not the Prophet. He was only an Apostle. He was not acting as Prophet at that time.

Let's compare making mistakes as an Apostle now to making mistakes as an Apostle in the Bible.

When Peter was an Apostle in the Bible he denied Christ three times. I call that a major mistake for an Apostle. Yet Peter was a great Apostle , one of the greatest.

Are you saying because Peter denied knowing Christ three times we should not believe anything he said? Of course not. The same goes for the modern day Apostles. Jesus knows they are human and makes mistakes.

If I read right in this talk or discourse he was not making a prophecy he was stating a personal opinion. Even though he ended the speech In the name of Jesus Christ Amen, it does not men everything in the speech was a prophecy.

Joseph Fielding Smith

• a

I'm not Mormon but it seems to me that the idea that God can change his mind, and that a living prophet is more uptodate than a former (dead) prophet basically answer your question. Plus not everything a prophet says is said in his prophetic role; he has to say 'thus says the Lord' or something to that effect. Otherwise he would be in trouble if his wife said 'don't forget your umbrella' and he said 'it's not going to rain today' and it did (for example)

Hey, Mr. Penguin! I just tried to look up what you are talking about and I can't find it anywhere. Care to inform us as to where you found this information?

Also, here's a thought for you: if Christ was the only perfect human being, and died on the cross for our sins, how can we expect any earthly human being to be perfect? As far as I know, no divine beings live, or ever have lived on this planet. Therefore, man, not being a perfect being, is fallible, even prophets. Not, the Pope, not the prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, not any leader of any religious organization, past or present has ever been perfect, except One, the Only Begotten Son of God.

Maybe he meant a man could never fly into space lmao

The whole Mormon faith is a lie. You mean they wasted the flag on him! I would think it would be in the Smithsonian. I will have to investigate him a little more I know he was something like the 10 president of there church, but I wouldn't think that would give him the right to have such a valuable piece of history. Can you post a link? Thanks for the nice post.

Source(s): ch

Some of them will try to weasel around this by denying that there ever was a moon landing. When fact contradicts faith the best approach is to deny the existence of fact.

How does his OPINION that we would never go to the moon, ever going to lead us astray?