Lupus Question?

Is it dangerous to get a sunburn if you have lupus? If so how?

Favorite Answer

It is not wise at all! The sun will trigger flares in most people with lupus. Ask yourself- "Is a day in the sun worth months of fatigue and pain?"

I don't think it is. But, that said, I still go in the sun too much and sometimes even burn. I just pay for it afterward.

I was diagnosed with lupus 3 years ago.This type of lupus is called Discoid Lupus as it attacks the skin. In having Discoid Lupus myself, the sun causes my skin, more often the face to "sunburn" so to speak in it manifests itself into what is called the malar rash. I would believe it would be dangerous for a person to expose themselves to the sun knowing that the sun irritates the skin. However, if exposure to the sun or any artificial light source causes the skin to sunburn there could be an underlying problem which could mean a flare up in the person's body. Steroids and a topical skin solution would alleviate the pain/burning and cocoa butter after the sunburn heals will prevent the scarring from taking place.

• huggz

Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE or lupus) is a disease which affects the skin and immune system (among other things). Sunburn damages the skin....the body can find it hard to repair that damage.