Is it wrong to have a confederate flag?

I have a Confederate flag and people tend to get onto me about it

Favorite Answer

The confederate flag is a piece of American history. It didn't stand for slavery or violence. It stood for a group of people who fought for their right to make their own choices. The country was headed for a civil war, slavery was just the last straw, not the whole picture.

The confederate flag stands for the determination of a group of people who fought for what they believed in. Anyone who says you are racist for having a confederate flag is ignorant. Anyone who is a US patriot wouldn't want anyone to hide away our history. It is your right to display whatever flag you choose, especially one so rich in history and meaning.

Fly the flag proud! It is not racist nor will it ever be. I did some research and found a few interesting facts.

"Basically the North favored a loose interpretation of the United States Constitution. They wanted to grant the federal government increased powers. The South wanted to reserve all undefined powers to the individual states. The North also wanted internal improvements sponsored by the federal government. This was more roads, railroads, and canals. The South, on the other hand, did not want these projects

to be done at all. Also the North wanted to develop a tariff. With a high tariff, it protected the Northern manufacturer. It was bad for the South because a high tariff would not let the south trade its cotton for foreign goods. The North also wanted a good banking and currency system and federal subsidies for shipping and internal improvements. The South felt these were discriminatory and that they favored Northern commercial interests."

Some extremist groups claim it, but that does not make it theirs. If you call a dog a lion does it make it a lion? No.

Some say its a sign of treason, why? The south simply said we don't want the country run that way and we are not going to stand for it. The war was not the south against America, it was about how to run America, Union vs. Confederacy. Neither side was actually representing America.

One can still love the Stars and Stripes and the confederate flag. The confederate flag is under the American Flag. Remember it represents the southern states, not America. Its just like the State flags only more of a broad spectrum.

I love the south, but I joined the military because I love our freedoms whether they are used in the south or in the north.

Let me hear a loud and proud "YEEHAW"

No, there's nothing wrong with having a confederate flag. Even though many southern blacks, or blacks in general, think of it as a racist sign, it is actually just a flag to show a person's love of the south. Even though some people do use the confederate flag for racist reasons, as a symbol of the "Old South".

It is your own Right to fly it and Nobody can stop you from flying it. All these people who think that it means racism are people who do not want and will not let it stand for something positive. Most of my friends who are black and white all love it when I fly the flag and I fly it in my yard all the time and I live in VT! YEEHAW! All the people who think it's negative are all people who have nothing better to do then complain about what other people like, believe, and do with there own stuff! So I say fly it! And dang them Politically Correct People cause they are the ones who are destroying this country! YEEHAW! Rock on People! YEEHAW!

my fiance and i were debating about this last night. he got a ciggarette case that has a confederate flag on it, just because he needed a case and it was really cheap. i got onto him and told him he should have gotten a different one. i mean, i understand that it's a part of southern heritage, but every time i see one, the first thought that pops into my head is slavery. and i know that my thinking that isn't exactly historically accurate, there were just as many northern slave owners as there were southern. but you can't really help what people think. but i do believe in freedom of speech, so if you want to fly a rebel flag, that's your business, not mine.

• It depends on where you're coming from when you display it. I see the flag as standing for Southern pride and patriotism, slavery dosent exist in the sourthen states anymore so it dosent stand for that, it stands for the kindness and manners of the south.

Just because those sheet wearing mentally retarded people display it and lynch black people dosent mean that thats all it stands for. take this for example, most farmers have trucks beceause its convenient to them what about the other people who aren't farmers who hav a truck maybe they just like it?

This is all political! Take down the Black Power flag and the rainbow flag. They offend me! And while we're at it, take away the Girl Scout rainbow badge, it reminds me of the rainbow flag. Give me a break. Watch the unrest this causes.

I consider the Confederate flag to be very treasonous. the COnfederate states broke away from the USA. As an AMERICAN, I will never like that flag.

The uneducated thinks it stands for slavery and white power. Fools, all. Fly it anytime, anywhere. It is better and more patriotic to flay the Confederate flag than it is to fly the Mexican one. For some reason, flying the Mexican one doesn't bother the anti-confederate idiots.

• No way! Southern Pride baby! Rock on!