ROCKER_CHICK asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

I need safe homemade dog food!?

I have a lhasa apso, but shes a big girl (not fat its her bone structure) and she weighs about 22 lbs! Anyways, I feel uncomfortable buying dog food at the store after all the recals! I also hear homemade dog food can actually be better for your dog. So I need some recipes or websites with recipes for home made dog food. Healthy and Safe dog food!

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Check this web site out first http://www.risingwoods.org/OURFAMILY/THEDOGS/known...

Here are some recipe:

Brown lamb in a fry pan. After it gets going, put on the chopped garlic to brown. Boil water, put about 4-5 cups into a crock pot, so it is already hot while you are fixing the rest of the ingredients. Add cubed potatoes to the fry pan. Cut broccoli and add this to the crock. Put the rest of the works in the pot, add enough hot water to cover. Add pepper to taste. Throw in 1/2 cup brown rice and mix.

2) Alfie & Archie's Garlic Flavored Dog Biscuits

Yield: 1 batch

* 2 1/2 c Flour, whole wheat

*1/2 c Powdered milk

*1/2 ts Salt

*1/2 ts Garlic powder

*1 ts Sugar, brown

*6 tb Meat drippings or margarine

*1 Eggs, beaten

*1/2 c Ice water

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly oil a cookie sheet. Combine flour, powdered milk, salt, garlic powder and sugar. Cut in meat drippings until mixture resembles corn meal. Mix in egg. Add enough water so that mixture forms a ball. Using your fingers, pat out dough onto cookie sheet to half inch thick. Cut with cookie cutter or knife and remove scraps. Scraps can be formed again and baked. Bake 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from tray and cool on rack.

3) Apple Crunch Pup Cakes

* 2 3/4 cups water

* 1/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened

* 1/4 teaspoon vanilla

* 4 cups whole wheat flour

* 1 cup dried apple chips ( you can also use fresh fruit)

* 1 tablespoon baking powder

* 1 egg, beaten slightly

* 4 tablespoons honey

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray muffin tin with cooling spray. Mix all wet ingredients thoroughly. Combine dry ingredients in separate bowl. Add wet to dry slowly , scraping well to make sure no dry mixture is left. Pour into muffin tins. Bake for 1 1/4 hours or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out dry. Store in a sealed container. Makes around 12-14 pupcakes.

4) Auggie's Wolfdown

* 16-qt stew pot with cover enough olive oil to coat bottom of pot

* 5-6 lbs. ground beef

* 2 50-oz cans chicken broth

* 4 cups water

* 1 3-lb bag frozen corn

* 1 3-lb bag brown rice

Brown ground beef in olive oil. When beef is cooked, add broth, water, and corn. (Note that broth and water amount to just over a gallon of liquid; you can also just dump in a gallon jug of water and add a bunch of bouillon cubes.) Bring to a boil. Add brown rice, stir well, cover, and bring to a boil again. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Remove from heat and let cool overnight. Makes approximately 40-45 cups of food. Divide the yield into generous 2-cup portions and freeze most of it (it freezes well). Always have some thawed in the fridge and microwave it for a minute or so to get it to room temperature. Suggested serving is as follows:

Breakfast

* 1 portion (2 cups) Auggie's Wolfdown

* 1 cup high-quality all-natural kibble

Dinner

* 1 portion (2 cups) Auggie's Wolfdown

* 1 cup fresh shredded veggies

* 2-3 times a week: a little nonfat plain yogurt and an egg yolk

5) Cheesy Bacon Biscuits

* 3/4 cup whole wheat flour

* 1/2 tsp. baking soda

* 1/2 tsp. salt

* 1 stick margarine, softened

* 2/3 cup brown sugar

* 1 egg, slightly beaten

* 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

* 1 1/2 cups regular oats, uncooked

* 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese

* 2/3 cup wheat germ crumbled

* 1/2 lb. bacon, cooked crisp, drained, and

Combine flour, soda and salt; mix well and set aside. Cream butter and sugar; beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture, mixing well. Stir in remaining ingredients.

Drop dough by rounded teaspoons onto un-greased baking sheets. Bake at 350 for 16 minutes. Cool on baking sheet for a minute or so before removing to cooling rack.

6) Doggie Gravy

* 1 Boneless/skinless Chicken Breast

* 4 Cups Water

* 1 Cup Flour

* 2 Whole Eggs

Boil chicken breast for about 1/2 an hour, remove to cool. Add flour to chicken water. Beat out lumps. Add pre-beaten eggs. Cook on low heat until it's done thickening. Pulverize chicken in food processor. Add to flour/egg gravy. May need to add more water. Unfortunately it won't freeze.

7) Doggie Liver Dip

* 1 lb. beef liver

* 2 cups beef bouillon

* 1 tsp. garlic powder

* 1 16-oz. container plain yogurt

Cut liver into chunks. Cover with bouillon and simmer until completely cooked; drain. Put liver and remaining ingredients in food processor. Blend until smooth. If necessary, add reserved bouillon or water to achieve desired consistency. Refrigerate immediately. Use within 3-4 days. Serve with raw carrots, celery, or pieces of dog biscuits. Alternately, use to stuff cooked marrow bones.

8) German Shepherd Casserole

* 500gms of any meat

* 1 carrot finely chopped

* 1 small potato finely chopped

* 1 stick celery finely chopped

* 1/2 cup sliced green beans (string less)

* 1 tbsn Gravox

Place all ingredients into a large casserole dish. Cover with water and mix. Place lid on casserole. Microwave on High for 10 minutes and then Medium for 10 minutes. This should be cooked at least an hour before feeding so that it is well cooled.

9) Golden Liver Brownies

* 1 lb. beef liver liquefied in food processor or blender

* 1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix

* 2 teaspoons garlic salt

Mix well spread into cookie sheet sprayed with Pam. Bake 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes. Cool and cut into squares, refrigerate. Will keep for about 2 weeks (if they last that long) or you can freeze them.

10) Josie's Liver Treats

* 1 lb. beef liver

* 1 cup whole wheat flour

* 1 cup cornmeal

* 12 - 14 cloves garlic

* 2 eggs

Puree liver and garlic in food processor. Add eggs, whole wheat flour and cornmeal. Grease cookie sheet and pour mixture onto cookie sheet. Bake in 350 oven for 20 minutes, flipping over halfway through baking. Cut into desired sized squares. Freeze leftovers.

11) Loosey-Goosey Chicken Fix

* 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

* 1 cup cooked plain white rice

* 1 cup cooked plain carrots

* 1 cup non- or low-fat cottage cheese

Boil chicken breasts in a small amount of water until done; chop. Cook carrots in a small amount of water until tender but not mushy. Mix both with the rice and cottage cheese. You may want to add some broth from the meat or carrots if it seems too dry. A nice plain meal to get your doggy firmed up. Keep any leftovers in the fridge. Optional flavorings (add 1 if desired): 1/4 cup mashed banana; 1/4 cup mashed or chopped plain potatoes; 1/4 cup low-fat cheddar cheese.

12) Magic Meatballs

* 2 cups Whole wheat flour

* 3 tbs. Oatmeal

* 1 Egg; lightly beaten

* 1 tsp. Garlic powder

* 2/3 cup Beef or chicken broth

Place flour in a bowl, add egg and broth, mix well. Blend in oatmeal and garlic powder. Roll dough into a ball, roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/2" thick. Cut with small doughnut cutters. Reroll scraps and repeat. Shape last bits by hand. Arrange rings on a shallow baking dish or on a sheet of parchment paper in a single layer. Cook on high 10 minutes or until firm. Let cool until hardened. Store in covered container when doggies not looking.

13) Yummy Chihuahua Stew

* 2/3 cup- turkey, liver, hamburger

* 1/2 cup rice

* 1/4 cup potato

* 1/4 tsp.garlic powder

* 1/2 carrot

* 1 cup water

Cut meat into tiny bite size pieces, slice the potato, and cut the carrot. Put all into a pot, add 1/2 cup water, then garlic powder. Turn on stove to high, let bowl. Cook the rice. While cooking add a little of the water every so often to the stew. Add rice to pot, stir, keep at bowl for 2 more minutes. take from heat. Strain juice into separate pot. Let food cool. Once done, add a little juice if wanted.

• 1 decade ago

This is one of my main areas of interest. The BEST diet is a raw prey-model diet. Dogs should never have cooked food- it destroys the enzymes and some of the vitamins/minerals. Even though they're our pets now, their digestive systems have not changed since being wolves. Commercial pet food has only been around for maybe 60 years. Dogs do NOT need any grain or carbs. They also don't need fruits/veggies. They only need meat- fresh, raw, meat, bones, and some organ meats. Your dog will do so much better! You just have to do some basic learning-

www.rawlearning.com is a great website

Source(s): My Website www.myspace.com/myherocanine
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

When you think about it, what does your dog need from its food in order to be healthy?

Today our pets have a wide variety to meet their tastes and needs and we have our choice of what kind of food we can choose to feed them. Despite the variety, pet foods usually fall into three major categories. These categories are: Grocery store foods, these types of dog and pet foods are usually found in grocery stores and mass marketed retailers and can contain lower quality, less expensive ingredients. The second category is "premium dog foods," which can also be found in grocery's stores but are also found in pet stores and through your local veterinarian's office. These types of foods are usually made from some higher quality ingredients and are usually made evident by the expense of the food. Some of these pet foods though can contain lower quality ingredients that you aren't aware of. The third and final category is homemade dog food.More and more people are beginning to make their dog's food at home rather than buying commercial formulas. Homemade dog food doesn't contain any substances that could possibly be harmful to your dog's health such as artificial coloring and artificial flavors.

Another reason to make homemade dog food is the preservatives added to the commercial dog food. Homemade dog food has the benefit of optimum freshness without preservatives.

There are dogs that would greatly benefit from a homemade diet. Some dogs who suffer from allergies that cause severe itching may find relief once switched from commercial dog food to a homemade diet.

Processed dog food is a relatively new product and scientists don't fully understand the differences between commercial food and a diet of fresh food. There may be problems occurring in a dog's health because he is being given food that has had the nutrients cooked out of it and then sprayed back on.

Would you like to prolong the quality and length of your dog's life by 135%?You should keep your dog healthy by homemade dog food.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Keep-Your-Dog-Healthy-By...

• Bernay
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Cut out the mayo, the grapes (Why would you feed a carnivore grapes? They don't feed lions and wolves grapes at the zoo, I assure you), the flour, the chicken broth, and the chocolate. That leaves you with chicken breast. But don't cube it, dogs have teeth perfectly designed for chewing their food and don't need your help. But chicken breast isn't a balanced diet so add in some heart, liver, gizzards, kidney, green tripe and the like. Add a little salmon oil for Omega 3 and 6 and tada. You'll be feeding your dog the healthiest homemade diet possible, a raw (aka uncooked because, dogs don't have thumbs, start fires, nor do they cook, nor are they evolved (as we are) to eat cooked meat) prey modeled diet!!!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

There are recipes for processing your own kibble or cookie-like foods, but personally I think the healthiest way to do it is the same way you eat it. (Well, without seasoning or gravy.)

Basically, you want about an even mix of carbs and protein. Some people say less protein, but I think 50-50 works best. Boil the meat, never fry, grill, or sautee. Veggies are best raw, but lightly steamed is okay too. Fruits aren't necessary, but if you must, stick to apples and berries. You can give her the same meals each day or vary them. Here's a basic list of things you can feed:

Meats: Chicken, turkey, lamb, beef, duck, venison.

Carbs: Sweet potatoes (no white), raw oatmeal, cooked brown rice, cooked barley. No wheat products!!

Dairy: Plain low-fat yogurt, cottage cheese.

Veggies: Almost anything but white potatoes or corn. Carrots, broccoli, peas, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, green beans, etc.

Fruit: Apples, blueberries, cranberries.

Supplements: Olive oil, salmon oil, flaxseed oil, dog vitamins.

Make sure everything is diced up well, and serve! No salt or seasonings, no butter, no gravy, no nothing, just plainly cooked. I did this for my dog for a long time, and it worked really well, he loved it! Good luck to you!

• 1 decade ago

Ok, so I am doing the same thing. I went to my local book store and bought 4 books. Three on holistic (home cooking) feeding and one on what actually is in commerical foods. If you want to learn what is in those nasty foods, I highly recommend you reading this book!!! It is called "Foods pets die for". I am currently feeding my pups Whole Paws by Whole Foods and they are not on the list. I plan on weaning them slowly off that to home cooked food. I was really worried about vitamins and minerals, but after reading these books, all the food that you will be feeding them already has those items in them and if they don't, the books give you recipes for minerals and vitamins that you can add to supplement what is missing. The recipes are very easy and are general items that you can usually find in the grocery store. I did sit in the book store for a long time just reading the recipes to make sure they did not call for items that I knew I probably would not be able to get. Alot of them are recipes that you can cook for you and your dogs and share at the dinner table! I can't think of all the names right now (I am at work!!) of the books but I know one of them was called Barker's Grub. The lady that wrote that book actually has her own business making dog food which kinda makes me feel better. If you want to know that other titles, just email me at mythreeiggys@yahoo.com. Enjoy!!!

Source(s): All my books-Barkers Grub and Foods pets die for
  • Winni
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

safe homemade dog food

• 1 decade ago

Here's a site about how to make homemade dog food. http://www.ehow.com/how_12697_make-homemade-dog.ht... Good Luck! Oh and here's a site about Lhasa Apso: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lhasa_Apso. Good luck!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

my dog had pancreatitis and had to be on a low-fat diet. We made her homemade food. We basically just put rice, ground low-fat turkey breast and broccoli ground up and blended.

• 1 decade ago

i thought that was only 4 wet food

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.