What is the difference in pinto beans and cranberry beans?

I mean in the taste and how do you season them(cranberry beans)?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Pinto beans are dried and have tiny brown specs and cook up a reddish color.

Cranberry beans are larger than pintos and have big maroon specs on a creamy white background - you can cook them fresh or dried and they are somewhat similar to pinto beans but they are more like Great Northern beans.

I cook all beans with either a bit of smoked turkey or some ham hock or ham bone. Smoked turkey for the cholesterol conscious.

Here is a really good bean reference chart:

http://www.foodsubs.com/Beans.html

• Lisa
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I just cooked some Roman beans for the first time....I cook beans a lot. It's an economic, environmentally friendly protein source. Roman beans after they are cooked look just slightly larger than cooked pinto beans, but taste the exact same. I really can't tell much difference in texture or flavor. Season as you'd like of course. You can season beans Mexican, Italian, Chinese, Thai, what ever! Just keep the oil, meat, and cheese out if your goal is to make them healthy.

• 3 years ago

What Are Cranberry Beans

• 4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awp3s

Roman bean is a speckled light brown bean, quite popular in the Italian cuisine. It is believed to be a substitute for cranberry bean, barlotti bean, chili bean or pinto bean. It has an exceptional nutty flavor quite similar to chestnut and it is generally available in fresh form that has an advantage of not soaking them ahead of cooking. However, dried form of the bean is also extremely popular in cooking. Roman beans are popular in different parts of the world like Turkey and Portugal and is highly used in USA, where it is a fall crop. Pinto beans belong to a class of beans, referred to as “common beans,” alongside kidney, navy, and black beans. Pinto, which means painted or spotted, actually describes the bean’s appearance before cooking. Similar to the markings of a pinto horse, pinto beans have a mottled appearance from darker reddish brown spots on a lighter brownish beige background, thus appearing painted or spotted. Pinto beans and other common beans were first introduced to Europeans in the 15th century. When cooked, pinto beans lose their mottled appearance and take on a pinkish tinge. Pinto beans are commonly served alongside rice and are also mashed into refried beans, the common base filling of burritos. Pinto beans are the most widely consumed bean in the United States and because they are one of the most inexpensive forms of protein, are widely consumed throughout the word.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What is the difference in pinto beans and cranberry beans?

I mean in the taste and how do you season them(cranberry beans)?

Source(s): difference pinto beans cranberry beans: https://tr.im/oEbPx
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.