can you help me with my literature homework on the book "The Color Purple" by Alice Walker,please?

it goes: Explain the situation of wome in both africa and america in "The Color Purple"by Alice Walker ,and comfare and contrast them.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The best advice I could give you would be to read the book and do your own homework.

• Login to reply the answers
  • ammie
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Spark notes is a good starting point for literature assignments. There's some useful info for The Colour Purple. Follow the link or google sparknotes. Women in both countries are oppressed and denied an education (Celie and Tashi). Female circumcision is raised in the book and Tashi's story is continued in another book. It's a great book and easy to read. If you do/have you should find plenty to write about.

http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/purple/themes.html

• 1 decade ago

From the situation in the color purple. The black women in the America could not read or write. THey were free from slavery, but after slavery had to struggle because they didn't know much. The white people during that time were very hard because they had to free their slaves and they didn't want to do it. The white people were very bitter towards black people.

black women were free from slavery, but not really free with their lives. Black women and men still had to live under the rules of the white. people. Sometimes black women did what was necessary to feed their children and to stay out of trouble. They still had to work for white people for little or nothing or they would be punished. As for women in Africa during this time, people were free. The women were educated, they were teaching school and raising their own children. There were some problems, but not like the problems they had in America. In Africa the women were free from slavery and free with their lives

• 1 decade ago

Did you read the book? If so, you should have a clear idea of the situation of Black women in America. Does your assignment ask about Black women, or just women? Because, as the book made very clear, the position of Black women in America was very subservient to that of White women in America. But among themselves, the Black women held a position of power in some families, but were very much abused in others. The situation of White women in Africa was that of royal princesses. They never worked, they were cared for by others, and the contributed nothing. Black women in Africa held responsible positions in their own communities.

I think you have to clarify which groups of women you are supposed to be comparing and constrasting, as the field is too wide as presently stated.

Just a suggestion, but you are always better to read the book if your assignment is based on the book. Hollywood has a way of changing things, eliminating characters, tacking on a happy ending and otherwise altering the story from what was originally written. If you do a book review based on a movie, you can wind up looking pretty silly!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The situation of women in both Africa and America was crappy

Source(s): Did not read the book but saw the film
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Did you read the book? It is a wonderful book you are lucky to have been assigned it. No I will not do your homework for you have fun

• 1 decade ago

I have watched the film a few years back, but can't really help you with it withut eading thook. Have you googled it? Good luck anyway xxxx

• 1 decade ago

its easy basically, tell what had happen to the women in africa america, just say how were they treated what was their rights easy stuff, then talk about was it fair and did they relate to each other.

• 1 decade ago

The book was a good read, try it and you will be able to do the comparison for yourself.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

My help is to suggest that you read the book.

Any more than that would be to DO your homework instead of helping.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.