Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 1 decade ago

can u help me with this hw? i dont understand it.?

Many scholars and observers have argued that the ratification of the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution has become the single most important act in all of United States politics.

a. Identify which provision of the Fourteenth Amendment was applied in one of the following Sup cases.

For the case you select, explain the significance of the decision in United States politics.

Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas (1954)

Baker v. Carr (1962)

Regents of the University of California v. Bakke (1978)

b. Identify which provision of the Fourteenth Amendment was applied in one of the following Supreme Court cases. For the case you select, explain the significance of the decision in United States politics.

Mapp v. Ohio (1 961)

Gideon v. Wainwright (1963)

Miranda v. Arizona (1966)

i dont understand this question...can someone help me with it?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The 14th Amendment is the "due process" law. The amendment states that "no State shall deprive any person of life, liberty, or property without due process of law." It has 2 meanings:

First, it requires that government go through appropriate procedures. For example, guilt must be proven beyond reasonable doubt in criminal trial. Second, it forbids unreasonable government action.

The cases you mention are very well documented examples of the application of the 14th amendment and are often cited in textbooks. Google the case with "Fourteenth Amendment" along with it and that should help.

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.