My house is invaded by silverfish every year. How do I get rid of them?

Every Spring, Summer, and Fall, my house is invaded by Silverfish. They are most prevalent in my bathroom, bedroom (in the laundry), and living room. I had one crawling on my chest yesterday (shiver) after carrying some laundry to the washer.

I should also mention that I have 3 dogs and a cat who don't eat the silverfish, but I worry about using any chemicals in the house.

P.S.: Spiders are also a problem and I'm extremely arachnaphobic. I know I'll never get rid of them, but how do I reduce their presence? Please, please do not tell me that spiders help with insect infestation! Unless they're killing the silverfish (and they haven't been), I'd prefer the spiders not be in my house.

I can spray the crawl space, but like I said, I have 3 dogs and a cat and I am concerned about any bug bomb residue.

Favorite Answer

Silverfish can be a real nuisance as well as destructive so I understand your problem. I frequently consult a website called "Do-it Yourself Pest Control" for advice. I have found that the site offers excellent information. Here is a link to the page that deals with silverfish:

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/firebrat.htm

By the way, a "firebrat" is similar to a silverfish and most people cannot tell the difference. Both are addressed on the page.

As to your spider problem, the website that I used to recommend has been removed and I can't seem to find a good alternative. A Yahoo search for "spider control" will yield lots of results, but most recommend chemical applications. In addition to the chemicals, most of the sites seem to recommend sealing up all of the cracks and crevices where spiders might enter your house. They also recommend keeping the clutter down and vacuuming up the webs whenever they appear.

Good luck with your silverfish and spider problem.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I should also mention that I have 3 dogs and a cat who...

Source(s): house invaded silverfish year rid them: https://tr.im/Y45K8

I have come across a great product that I think everyone needs to know about if they want an environmentally safe product to use in their homes. It is an extremely effective bait that is cleverly designed to hide in out of the way places that the bugs will find. It comes in a bottle cap with a glue dot on the back so it sticks and stays in place when you set it out. The product was originally intended to get rid of roaches but is just a effective on many other indoor pest including SILVERFISH. Go to Bestbugbait.com to order on line. If you live in Dallas, Texas you can buy it at Whole Foods. This product is great I no longer use a pest control service and am saving a lot of $$ every year. I replace the product every 6 months and I am completely bug free, this is great stuff!

I'm not sure what to tell you, but I feel really sorry for you. Those things CREEP ME OUT!! I occasionally find them in the dishwasher or sink or basement.

i would consider bombing the house with bug bombs follow all directions and cautions possibly even twice a week apart or so and also spraying around your house with a dish soap and water solution. if you have a crawlspace, or basement bomb and spray there not in the living area. you can also spray your entire lawn with the soap solution.