48 hours after whelping, is this normal?

My 3 y/o bassett hound had 5 pups thursday morning, she finally started to leave the pen today and is eating again. This evening she started pushing the pups away, stepping on them when she would get back in the pen, laying on them and now she looks bloated and has labored breathing periodically. I havent notice... show more My 3 y/o bassett hound had 5 pups thursday morning, she finally started to leave the pen today and is eating again. This evening she started pushing the pups away, stepping on them when she would get back in the pen, laying on them and now she looks bloated and has labored breathing periodically. I havent notice her have a bowell movement although she has urinated. My boyfriend says this is normal, just shock from whelping, but, something just doesnt seem right. Is this normal?
Update: Sorry I'm tired, it's 3 days after whelping
Update 2: also, she was back to her thin self this morning, did not look to have retained anything, this behavior just started tonight.
Update 3: A special note to aerosmithluvin: Every breeder has to start somewhere! I wanted to read everything on breeding but my bf said I didnt need to as he knows what he's doing as he's assisted with 5 whelps before, even my vet said I was in good hands with him. I've just come to realize over the past year my... show more A special note to aerosmithluvin: Every breeder has to start somewhere! I wanted to read everything on breeding but my bf said I didnt need to as he knows what he's doing as he's assisted with 5 whelps before, even my vet said I was in good hands with him. I've just come to realize over the past year my bf is an idiot which is why I'm asking.