pixieadraste asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

48 hours after whelping, is this normal?

My 3 y/o bassett hound had 5 pups thursday morning, she finally started to leave the pen today and is eating again. This evening she started pushing the pups away, stepping on them when she would get back in the pen, laying on them and now she looks bloated and has labored breathing periodically. I havent notice her have a bowell movement although she has urinated. My boyfriend says this is normal, just shock from whelping, but, something just doesnt seem right. Is this normal?

Sorry I'm tired, it's 3 days after whelping

also, she was back to her thin self this morning, did not look to have retained anything, this behavior just started tonight.

A special note to aerosmithluvin: Every breeder has to start somewhere! I wanted to read everything on breeding but my bf said I didnt need to as he knows what he's doing as he's assisted with 5 whelps before, even my vet said I was in good hands with him. I've just come to realize over the past year my bf is an idiot which is why I'm asking.

Favorite Answer

yes it would be best to have her checked by a vet just to be safe. She may still have a puppy stuck inside her that she didnt deliver or it could be nothing but it is better to be safe than sorry especially with 5 newborn pups.

• Elena

I'm sorry but your boyfriend doesn't know much about dogs or dog breeding/whelping if he thinks that this is normal and is due to "stress". This could be pretty serious so I think you should take her to the vet. Some mums can over-protect her puppies but it's very unusual for her to "push them away". Just take her and her pups to the vet.

Yes, sounds like she could have a blockage, or unborn puppy in her, and any afterbirth could become toxic and lead to toxicemia.

Her thin self could actually be Dehydration starting too! Yes, call the Vet since today is Sunday. Get the one on call and get some critical advice. He may want to see her and the Pups regardless if it is Sunday.

The unknown kills more than anything.

I wonder if she didn't have all the babies. Now is about the right time to see the vet and have everybody checked out anyway so take them in when morning comes. She isn't right, your BF doesn't know anything (sorry).

This is not normal. Your boyfriend is wrong. Take her to a vet immediately.

Why do you people bother breeding?

Vet. That's it. That's the answer to all your questions.

take her in especially since it is continuos. good luck hopefully it isn't something bad.

Source(s): animal lover

GO TO VET

I'm not sure. don't hamsters eat their babies? maybe it's normal ,but i would go to a vet to be sure.