Where exactly were you and what were you doing when you heard the news of the September 11, 2001 attacks?

Where were you on 9/11 when you heard the news? What were you doing?

Favorite Answer

I was at work, just a few short miles away from the site, in North Bergen NJ. I got a phone call from a friend in NC who told me. Newark Airport was only 20 minutes away and there was usually alot of air traffic. Suddenly, there was none. Silence, dead silence. Another few minutes and there were massive amounts of military helicopters flying into midtown Manhattan, right over where I was working.

I remember being shocked and called my daughters school. They said that all the children were to stay put in the school. I also remember crouching down in my chair at work, feeling like a sitting duck. It was a horrible and helpless feeling.

To this day, I am suffering from PTSD. If I hear even two helicopters overhead I panic. I now live in NC, but didn't come here because of the attack.

I was in the 6th grade like i think it was my 1st or 2nd day of skool @ LaTijera. Umm my mom woke me up and turned on to Fox 11 news and I saw the 2nd plane hittin the 2nd tower. I really didn't understand what was going on and I sadly really didn't care. Till it was the 1yr anniversary that's when I really understood what happened a year ago. All those ppl that died was incredibly sad. So ppl jumped to there death. And omg I saw a documentary or like a reenactment of 9/11. And so lady was tryin to get pregnant 4 like a long time and she finally got pregnant. And she was on the phone talkin to her husband and she saw the plane comin and she froze and the plane just came at her and the call got disconnected. And they showed her husband and he was like they were hopein to have a girl, he was cryin and everything. IT WAS SO SAD TO WATCH. But yeah that day was super crazy cuz everyone wanted to talk about it.

I was 14 and I was in the middle of math class when the principal made an announcement over the intercom saying that there had been something bad happen in New York. I didn't know the WTC had been bombed until I got home and turned on the news.

i was busy at work. somebody told me a plane had hit the twin towers i said damn must of lost control and went back to work. didn't realize the full horror of 2 planes and a terrorists attack until i picked up a paper on the way home. bare in mind i live in the UK the attack in Brit time happened about 2pm. i finished work at 4 30 pm

• Roz

At home, getting ready for work, listening to the radio. I was just leaving home when they said a second plane had hit the towers, so I grabbed my portable radio and heard the news all the way to work. Frightening morning. I was in Mexico City.

i was at work, just having taken my students to the media center for a lesson. since i was without students, i was the one that had to go around the building telling the other staff members NOT to turn on TVs or radios with students present... the looks on their faces will never leave me. half thought i was telling them a sick joke and half looked like they were going to soil themselves.

we're not too far from an air force base and it was truly odd not to hear the constant rumble from aircraft for a few days.

• Jamie

Sitting in class in 5th grade

Waiting at the bus stop for the school bus.

in the mist of it with me son on our holidays that turned into a nightmare for us glad to be back in dublin

I woke up in bed and put the tv on.