i7msc15283 asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 decade ago

Question to all you flight attendants ???

From my experiences as a pilot, cell phones do not interfere with air traffic control nor do they cause any disturbances on the navigation systems. When I flew with my flight instructor he would always have his cell phone on. I knew this one time when we were flying, he was talking on the phone with his wife and at the same time I was talking to air traffic control, and it did not cause any interference with my communications with air traffic control nor on the navigation systems. All the flight instructors at my flight school and some of them who have flown with the airlines say that cell phones do not cause any interference with air traffic control nor do they disrupt navigation equipment. So why are you required to tell people to turn them off anyways when you know that they wont cause any interferences???

• Kevin
    Favorite Answer

Most cell phones aren't going to cause a problem. The ones the FAA is worried about are made in China 10 dollar specials with no stardards as to shielding. No offense intended, especially since I've used my cell on VFR flights before when the function of nav radios didn't really matter so I'm guilty too but...I'm guessing since your instructor was on their cell while on a flight that you are a private student not an instrument student (gabbing on a cell as a CFI-I with an instrument student in IMC is a death wish) so I hope the following makes sense. Say a 737 is making an approach into solid IMC and someone has a crappy poorly shielded cell on and with them. The FMS is on along with the auto pilot flying a Cat III approach. Basically whatever signal the ILS ives, the plane does. The 737 will follow that signal to the ground. If a crappy cell interferes with the glideslope or localiser signal, the auto pilot will follow suit and could dive or turn the a/c off the approach path at a position that the crew doesn't have time to react and go missed. Yeah the chance of a cell or other device doing that are a million to one, but they aren't tested to the same standard and the fact is the chance exists. You cannot take chances with 200 lives at stake to meerly save an inconvenience. F.E. in more familiar terms, I'm pretty sure I could handle a pitot static failure and if I noticed such a failure on the preflight sure it would be a hassle to take it to the shop to fix it, but the hassle is worth the increased risk of crashing without that system functioning.

• dcgirl

During takeoff and landing, cell phones are too much of a distraction. Your experience as a pilot should tell you that takeoff and landing are the most dangerous times in a flight; the FA's want everyone to be ready to pay attention should an emergency arise, and they want cell phones put away so that they do not become projectiles in a crash. If I survive the initial impact, I really don't need to be banged up more by a bunch of cell phones bouncing into my head.

Some cell phones DO cause interference; it depends on the networking capabilities of the cell phone. It is pretty hard to tell just by looking if it is a problematic phone or not, so all of them get turned off just in case.

Anyway, once you reach cruising altitude, the phone isn't going to work anyway; you are moving too fast for the phone to stay on a signal for long. You might be able to make a call but it will drop pretty quickly. And the FA's have much better things to be doing instead of explaining to dozens of people over and over again why the calls keep dropping.

It's bad enough being cooped up in a tin can with someone else's screaming kid, without being in there with a screaming kid AND someone calling their mum every 5 minutes to say "Hi, I'm just on the plane" or a businessman discussing a work deal. We get that on the trains - leave us in peace on the planes.

Please see this website for more info. There have been enough reports of possible navigational disturbances and cell phones to ban them during commercial flights.

This is the airline rules...it does not matter if it make sense or not!!