Is Al Gore using Global Warming as a money making scheme?

First, Gore sets up a company that will invest in other companies that will benefit from global warming alarmism

Second, Gore gets some Hollywood types to fund and produce a movie designed to scare the c-c-carbon out of the population

Third, Gore travels the world promoting this movie, while pushing the view that a cataclysm is imminent if the world doesn't immediately act

Fourth, an adoring media falls for the con hook, line, and sinker. Rather than debunking the flaws in the theories, the media promote every word of it while advancing the concept that Gore's views represent those of an overwhelming majority of scientists

Fifth, scared governments and citizens across the globe invest in alternative energy programs driving up the shares of companies Gore's group has already invested in

Sixth, Gore and his cronies make billions as they laugh all the way to the bank at the stupidity of their fellow citizens

Here's a list indicating what it takes to make money along with Al. Funds associated with these companies have placed millions of dollars under Al Gore's control. And, as you'll see below, Gore's selection for the US President of GIM might raise a few eyebrows as well.

AFLAC INC - AQUANTIVE INC - AUTODESK INC - BECTON DICKINSON & CO BLACKBAUD INC - GENERAL ELECTRIC CO - GREENHILL & CO INC - JOHNSON CTLS INC - LABORATORY CORP AMER HLDGS - METABOLIX INC - NORTHERN TR CORP - NUVEEN INVTS INC -STAPLES INC - SYSCO CORP - TECHNE CORP - UBS AG - VCA ANTECH INC - WATERS CORP - WHOLE FOODS MKT INC

Gore is chairman of the firm and, presumably, draws an income or will make money as its investments prosper. In other words, he "buys" his "carbon offsets" from himself, through a transaction designed to boost his own investments and return a profit to himself. To be blunt, Gore doesn't buy "carbon offsets" through Generation Investment Management - he buys stocks.

Favorite Answer

The reality is that every individual can do something to improve the health of our planet, no money in anyone's pocket.

Conservationists have been working on this issue for decades. The only way that seems to be effective is to show how it can turn a profit--so I see a line item: I get $2 back on my $43 garbage bill because of the profit in recycling. Cash cow==capitalism. (I hear this echo from--building a sports stadium, building a freeway...if it doesn't turn a profit, why do it?)

Profit is The American Way. Not to me. I see the profit of planting a tree. I see the cost of convenience, too. I simply don't purchase an item that has more wrapping than product---single microwave meals, for example. This product is certainly a cash cow, or it wouldn't be on the market. Do a cost analysis--3x365 of those meals is one huge pile of plastic after a year.

Not that I even drink it, but soda manufacturers have figured out how to minimize costs of packaging, making aluminium cans 1/3 the mass today of the originals that came out 40 years ago.

Funny how you deride this issue.

Let's look at the money making scheme of pharmaceuticals--look anywhere on the internet--the US has something like 1000 x profit margin on--oh, Viagra. Or allergy drugs.

Consider insurance companies driving up the cost of medical coverage.

I for one am interested in sustainable energy resources. Not just for the US, who is farming "resources" on every other continent, but for the bulk of the world's population living on those other continents. Hello? China and Japan have invested in US businesses--in a money making scheme. Our country is owned by outside sources. Why aren't you concerned about that?

Designing devices that kill people is a pretty crappy investment, yet I see the cash cow of Vietnam: LBJ's wife's helicopter company. I see an Enron proft in Iraq...now who has a major interest in THAT cash cow? Oink moo.

Yes he is. He is doing it to get votes for himself and the democratic party. Plus he wants to get in good with the UN and produce the worlds first UN tax on carbon emissions. He will become a very wealthy man if that happens. Say thanks to the government/media complex owned by the Clintons and all of those useful idiots out there in America who think that global warming is being caused by man.

All the pro-global folks are. Scientists see a cashcow and jump on the band wagon. The brainless ones think because some politician made a movies and pseudo-scientists agree then it must be true. Who knows, they did save us from the iceage that was supposed to hit us about now.

No more than ADM and other corporate farmers are milking profits from producing ethanol and selling it to oil companies.

I have no problem with people trying to make a positive change and making a profit from the process. That's fair. My beef is with companies that aren't doing the right thing to begin with.

You know, this story starts to make me re-think the former VP. This guy is really using the American system to its fullest in some of the finest traditions of entrepreneurship.

And I'll say it again, the tide has turned on Global warming. The temperatures started falling a few years ago, and more and more stories are coming out that make people shake their heads. This is another fine example

Yes.

You know I pushed answer on this question and then switched over to google to research why I believe he is, then I come back and read your entire question. Really dumb of me, had I just read your answer first it would have saved all the time I just spent researching and coming up with pretty much the same stuff you have.

thanks

Of course he is using this as as a money maker. When he was telling all the ways to save on energy sources they asked him if he was willing to do all the things he asked of others.

He didn't answer this question!

So, as a celebrity, he makes money from advertising a product or concept. No different than thousands of other celebrities.

And the product or concept he chooses to promote is "be nice to the planet and stop consuming non-renewable fuels". Certainly, as causes go, that one is much less harmful than many other things.

So, your primary objection seems to be you don't want people to stop being dependent on oil? Or that you don't want people to act responsibly toward the environment, on the off chance that failing to act responsibly might become fatal?

Create a demand for a "product", provide the "product" for a fee, or cost, start it off by promoting the product to the rich, famous and stupid. Take a few for yourself and claim you have this stuff. The rich and stupid pour money into your little scam, and wa la! Instant global cooling. At least that is the claim that will be made.

Save a SeAL, club a liberal!!

Warning Warning the US supreme court has ruled that breathing is against the law.