Origin of a phrase-"We must not sleep a wink at night or we might wake up changed"?

Any one knows the origin of the phrase- "We must not sleep a wink at night or we might wake up changed."? I think it might be Shakespeare but I just can not place it, plese help.

Favorite Answer

We mustn't sleep a wink all night, or we might wake up - changed~ movie poster for Invasion of the Body Snatchers

In the script is was stated as ...We can't close our eyes

all night. We may wake up changed..

Macbeth was afraid to sleep ... it was a recurring theme throughout the play

The quote from Macbeth that most resembles the one you listed is

"Had he not resembled, my father, as he slept, I had done't."

He was saying that his father changed during his sleep and Macbeth himself hadn't slept.

Speaking of the 1950's version an article that I found mentioned Shakespeare ..."(...) It was the studio which insisted on an exploitation style title when Siegel had offered 'Sleep No More', borrowed from Shakespeare. (...)"

Hope that helps!!

Pamela

Invasion of The Body Snatchers