Do you think given goat milk to babies due to medical reasons is o.k?

My baby is 6 months old and since she has been born she has had troubles. And it always seems to lead back to her formula. At one point she had severe runs. Changed her to a prosobee formula. That seemed to help! But now she vommits. She has been changed about 4-5 times. It runs in my family that some of the kids weren't able to take formula so they had goats milk. Some other people told me the same about there kids. I am thinking to do the same although I don't think her doctor would approve. Should I try it anyway? She isn't losing wait , she is happy and plays alittle irritable sometimes.

Favorite Answer

Seriously, goats milk is not adequate nutrition. If its fresh, straight from the goat... MAYBE. But that is hard to come by these days... you can make a homemade formula with homemade chicken stock, but that is ALOT of work, and you have to be uber careful to make it correctly.

The best advice I can give is to learn for next time. Put all of your energy and dedication into nursing your next baby and you will be far less likely to run into these issues...

For now, as long as shes gaining, and happy (all babies are a bit irritable!) she should be fine :)

All 3 of my children have cow's milk (protein) allergies. They had ear infections, eczema, bronchitis, and other symptoms when they've had it (or foods that contain it!). I breastfed the 1st child 5 months, the 2nd 2 months, and the 3rd 13 months. They all were put on goat milk at the time the pediatrician normally recommended cow's milk in their diet. I kept them on that until the age of 2 & switched to soy since they didn't need as much in their diets from the milk any more (not to mention I needed a break on the cost!). Depending on where you live, goat milk may be hard to come by, but most stores will carry it if you ask them to stock it. Vomiting & diarrhea are NEVER normal in a baby. Please see your doctor & if you don't feel comfortable with that doctors opinion, get a 2nd & 3rd. Ultimately, the baby's health is in your hands & you probably know what is best for her.

Hope you both feel better soon! God bless!

• wwhrd

I wouldn't give your baby any goat milk or cows milk at all just yet. Take her to the pediatrician and see if they have any samples of formula they can give you to try for free. Lots of times they have samples, and you can try something else without having to invest a lot of money in it.

All kids get irritable, all kids have gas and occasionally have diarrhea. Since she isn't losing weight, just wait and see what the doctor says at your next Well Baby Check Up.

Good luck mama.

Goat milk has the same ph as human milk. we raise dairy goats and most of our customers buy it for there children. you should ask your doctor what he thinks, and ask him to explain. the only prob lam we have ever seen with goat milk is if you mix it with formula it makes the baby vomit. i doubt that it will hurt any thing to try goat milk.

if you do deiced to buy goat milk try to stay away form caned. it is illegal to seal raw goat milk for human consumption in most sates. you can however still buy it. you just have to work around that. some people time shear there goats and others sell it as pet food. if you are having a hard time finding someone who sells goat milk ask a large animal vet.

If it has happen in your family and it has work with no problems you should go ahead and do it , it is for your babies health.

• XO

why didn't you breastfeed?

you wouldn't be dealing with these issues if you had