Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Could someone suggest a book good for a 13-14 year old... I like mystery and fantasy...? sometimes war books?

Favorite Answer

Mystery: Stuart Woods, J.A.Jance, Iris Johannsen, Ted Bell.

Fantasy: Jane Lindskold, Raymond Feist, John Ringo, Eric Flint, David Weber, David Gemmel, David Drake.

Thriller: Matthew Reilly, James Rollins, Jack DuBrul, Clive Cussler.

Try books by any of these authors and be prepared to enjoy and be amazed at their complexity.

Try older authors too: H. Rider Haggard, Robert E. Howard and H. Beam Piper is you can find them.

• Breinn

The Uglies Trilogy is a very good sci-fi book with a little bit of mystery in it. It is not overloaded with sci-fi stuff and that is why I like it. Margaret Petterson Haddix has lots of great mystery and fantasy books like the Among the Hidden series and others such as Escape From Memory and Turnabout. Anthony Horowitz' Alex Rider series is excellent, too.

The Series of Unfortunate Events books aren't actually fantasy or mystery, but they have a bit of a fantasy or goth feel to them.

Also, if you like manga, try the Case Closed series. That's some good mystery.

Have you read Hoot by Carl Hiaasen? That's a good one. Also try the Maximum Ride YA series by James Patterson. The first two are The Angel Experiment and School's Out Forever. The third one Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports comes out in May. I think you will LOVE Max! Pax - C.

The Golden Compass

by Gary Pullman

Life of Pi, by Pi Martel

Color of Magic by Terry Pratchet (all of his Discworld series, really)

Stardust by Neil Giaman(sp?)

Corriline, also by Neil Giaman, not sure how to spell the name of the book, though.

Agatha Christie and Nagio Marsh are some good classic mystery writers.

Have fun!

The Pendragon series by D.J. MacHale. <- Totally awesome!

Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz

Peter and the Starcathers trilogy by Dave Barry& Ridley Pearson

Source(s): Read them

I'm 13 and I love the books by Jeanne DuPrau and Christopher Paolini.

Dean Koontz is such a good writer. My first Koontz book was The Taking, go to amazon web site and type in Dean Koontz, you will get a hugh list.......Once I read The Taking I was hooked, he is such a different thinker, he has a different take on everything.....my kids are hooked too. TRY HIM you'll like him.

• Puff

Treasure Island

Lord of the Rings series by Tolkien