Is the war in Iraq putting America behind the rest of the world?

Every day I read reports such as Russia and China joining forces to go to mars. Stem cell research in other countries is producing some truly wondrous results. I can't help but wonder (and worry) if America's vast funding of this war, not on the technologies that are driving us into a new age, is going to put us behind in the long run.

Favorite Answer

It is not the war itself, it is the backwards policies of the Bush administration. We are failing in all matter of science because this government has no respect for intellect. The conservatives want to save the embryo but are willing to let the sick die. Back in the fifties we got a scare because of Sputnik, the Russian satellite. We spent lots of money on education and science to catch up and ended up with men on the moon and other great scientific successes. This administration is dragging us back to the stone age.

I think America is the world's leader in stem cell research. What makes you think otherwise? I hope you're not just thinking about embryonic stem cell research...

We're also the world leader in space exploration, manufactuing efficiency, personal freedom, per capita wealth, and many other things.

We don't lead the world in literacy rates or infant mortality, but I attribute that to poverty and drug use in America's inner cities. We've spent far more on the "war on poverty" ($6.98 trillion) and the "war on drugs" (~$1 trillion since 1970) than on the Iraq war, and with far less to show for it.

Russia and China are not doing great things "every day" and stem cell research is not producing any "wondrous results". Where are you getting your information?

that's an interesting way of thinking.. honestly I don't think it's affecting America THAT drastically.. but yes it will hinder them a little.. I think there are a lot of great minds in America that are thinking too much about the war, and not contributing to science or the betterment of mankind.. even so there are people in the US that disapprove of the war so much that all they can do is think of things to better the country in other ways.

• Ted

Your theory is sound and it is already happening.Your society is falling apart, torn by this war just like Vietnam with a government totally against one another so nothing gets done on the domestic issues that are important.

America has so many problems at home that are being either ignored or forgotten in this whole Bush/Iraq mess.

Well considering what would happen to oil prices if we pulled out of Iraq, No I would not say we are behind the rest of the world.

I have never heard of stem cells producing "wondrous" results

please cite examples

• Yes. All the gazillions being spent on this illegal and ridiculous war could have been used for important things, but the power-hungry Neocons are blinded by greed.

Only if we have a negative attitude about it ... If we believe and support our President and Troops, then we will be rewarded for what we are doing to make the World a better place.

Have a great day !

yes it is !! america is focusing only on destroying people's lives and homes and ignoring it's people's lives !! and soon it's gonna be the less important country in the world !