michael w asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 decade ago

Will MMA be in the next Olympic Summer Games?

I read that mma was going to be in the Athens Olympics in '04 under the banner of pankration, but the IOC thought the Greeks couldn't handle the total number of sports proposed. As a result, the organizers removed all new medal sports, and pankration missed out.

Favorite Answer

No. The IOC in all their supposed wisdom is not adding any new sports and is actually eleminating some sports that have been around awhile.

Personally I think it's gay not to have a sport that was in the ancient Greek Olympics and is currently practicred NOT in the modern Olympics. Pankration (and chariot racing) is the only one from those original games that is left out

Naw, MMA is a long way off from that.

It takes YEARS to get into the Olympics, first they will do a "Demo" of your sport, (as they have done with TKD a few times) and see how it all pans out. Then it is still a long process with someone really representing your sport to on the IOC or working closely with the IOC.

It took 15 years or so of hardcore politics for Jigaro Kano to get Judo as an Olympic sport, even then he died before he was ever able to see it in the Olympics.

So MMA/Pankration is a ways off.

btw: Pankration was a Greek art, it was done in the very early Olympics in Greece, if they were going to do it anywhere, it would have been Greece.

• money

the subsequent summer Olympic video games would be staged in London, uk from 27 July to twelve August 2012. that is going to likely be the 1st time in Olympic video games historic past that London will play host to the summer Olympic video games for the third time. the subsequent wintry climate Olympic video games would be held in Vancouver, Canada in 2010 & Sochi, Russia in 2014 respectively.

I don't know, that's the first time I ever heard of that. I mean right now as it stands you already have Greco-Roman wrestling, freestyle wrestling, Judo, TKD, Jiu Jitsu, it would make sense to include it especially if they can include snowboarding of all sports in the winter games but I honestly couldn't tell you.

• Ray H

I agree with Bushido, I am ready for the full contact tiddly-winks.

oh yeah for sure as well as tiddly winks and x box games.