Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

abqy asked in Consumer ElectronicsLand Phones · 1 decade ago

How can I which telephone company given a particular phone no.?

I have a list of telephone numbers to which I need to find the telephone companies. It will be impossible to call every telco. Is there an online listing or database to query?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

In Australia it used to be fairly simple to tell which carrier is was based on the number but since government regulation has occured users can take their number with them between different carriers which makes it pretty hard to tell based on number alone.

• joe r
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

in the US numbers are assigned baised on the central office to where the calls originate. that would be the exchange number.. the first 3 digits after the area code...

you would be able to tell what exchange, or area a number was in from dialing a special phone number starting with the first 3 digits of the number..

with number portability, even this is not completely accurate any longer, as people are able to take there number with them even if they move out of the coverage area to a specific central office, and they can even port there number to voip, or a cellular service..

Source(s): nyphonejacks@yahoo.com
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.