What are some disadvantages to city living?

As an aspiring architect, I believe that society would function much better if the vast majority of people lived in the city as opposed to suburban areas. However, there are obviously many obstacles that cities must overcome in order to accommodate the various needs and lifestyles of individuals and families. The reality is that today's urban areas are simply not built to accommodate large and diverse populations, and thus, many people resort to suburbs. Here is my question: what current obstacles and disadvantages exist that keep people from living in cities?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

well, the expense and cost of living. it's much cheaper in the suburbs. Also, it would have to be the air and noise pollution. And some people prefer the neighbourhood, because of peaceful living and more integrity amongst neighbors.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I refuse to live in a large city, a suburb, etc. I don't like the noise, I don't like the unfriendly neighbors. I don't like to hear cars go by at all hours of the night. I live in a town of 350 people, if that. And even then I'm 4 1/2 miles south of town with 2 miles of gravel. It's quiet, peaceful, serene, and perfect.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I do not agree with you. When we all live in the city, we all feel like it's someone else's job to clean up, be nice, take turns, etc. People get impatient and rude.

Here are my problems with city living, and I live in Los Angeles:

bums in my yard

nowhere to park at home

pay to park almost everywhere

noise from cars and neighbors

smoggy air

• 1 decade ago

For me, a big problem is lack of greenspace. It can take a long time to get to a park, and even then, the parks tend to be pretty small. Even Central Park (in New York) is teensy compared to the sort of greenspace available in a non-urban environment.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

personally, i find city life way too hectic. bad traffic, usually meaner people cos they're all crammed together. there's also this lack of personal space cos of the confinement. i don't want to hear my neighbours arguing about their sex lives (or lack of), and i so don't want to draw my curtains and see into my neighbour's room. i'd rather stay maybe 20 to 30 minutes drive from the city. that way i'm not too far but not in it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.