dansaremm asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Any tips for breaking a dog of nipping people's heels?

We have a very lovable, very protective 2 year old german shepherd. Lately, she has become TOO protective. She gets defensive around strangers and won't let them into the yard. If they do get by her, she sneaks up on them and nips their heels or butt. She has not drawn blood, but obviously, she is not making my service people very happy. Of course, keeping her tied up is one way, but I don't want her tied up all the time. I currently keep her tied when I know someone is coming. She is also enclosed by an invisible fence so she doesn't wander off of our property. Also, we don't usually catch her in the act. She is sneaky, and she won't nip while we are next to her. We hear about the bite after it has already happened, so disciplining her at a later time obviously would not be appropriate. She is a sweet, lovable dog, and we'd really like to break her of this nasty habit. Any ideas?

Favorite Answer

I USE A WATER SQUIRT BOTTLE IN MY DOGS FACE WHEN I SEE HIM BE BAD. HE STOPS IMMEDIATELY. MIGHT WANT TO INVITE MORE PEOPLE AROUND TO SPEND TIME WITH YOU AND YOUR DOG TO GET USED TO WHO CAN OR CANNOT BE AROUND. SEEMS TO WORK FOR MINE. GOOD LUCK!!!!