Are there any DVD players that upconvert to 1080i using component cables instead of HDMI?

I have a 1080i HDTV (Samsung) but it only has component inputs. Component cables support 1080i and 1080p. But all the upconverting DVD players I can find say they only upconvert to 1080i w/ HDMI. HDMI is for convenience not necessity!

• TV guy
    Favorite Answer

First lets adress your question: The DVD forum (or DVD standards police) requires that upconverting DVDs output 1080 - only through HDMI, because HDMI supports better copy protection. So any compliant DVD player will upconvert only via HDMI.

Now, do you really need an upconverting DVD player? In my opinion, NO. Your HDTV is doing the same upoconversion internally and probably much better.

So, save your money.

Check out LG brand DVD players. They are new to the game but the support all the technology. They let you use out of date, and keep you going until you can buy state of the art.

U can use component cables in tour HDTV but it wont get you 1080. you must use HDMI cables because HDMI is digital output and component is analog. to achieve High definition you must go with digital

the best up-converter out there is oppo DVD player look up on google for oppo and you will see the difference it is better than any up-converter DVD out there

Look at the Toshiba HDA2 on the internet....they're only $400 or less now.....

Just Google it....

Source(s): 24 years servicing TV sets....... And YES....somebody decided to WHACK my account....so Reggieman2 is under construction.....