Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 1 decade ago

Physics question on Inertia. Pls Pls help.?

A passenger on a bus drops an item on the floor when the bus is stationary. Will this particular item roll forward or backwards when the bus starts to move? (assuming the surface is frictionless). Why??

Favorite Answer

The ball is having constant velocity so therefore the ball will try to remain on its place.... the ball will move backwards assuming the bus move forward.

The principle of inertia is that the item will want to stay at the same velocity (in this case stationary). Therefore if the bus moves forward, the item moves backward and vice versa.

However if for example, the bus were moving and stops abruptly, the item will continue moving in the direction that the bus was moving

Since the item was dropped at the time when the bus was stationary, that means the ball was stationary before the bus started to move. When the bus started, the item tends to move backward because of its inertia, the ability to resist the change in motion. This item was originally at rest and according to the law of inertia by isaac newton, an object at rest remains at rest unless acted upon by a net force. so the item has the tendency to remain at its original state of motion (at rest) so it tends to resist the moving forward of the bus, causing it to move backward.

Source(s): teacher

Remembering Newton's 1st Law, an object at rest tends to stay at rest. So, if the bus moves forward, the item will want to stay behind. Since the floor is frictionless, it would appear to slide backward from the frame of reference of a passenger.

• CK

The accelerate will hang backward when the bus speeds up. It will hang forward when the driver steps on the brakes. The more rapid braking, the greater the angle. It will swing to the right when the bus makes a left hand turn and swing to the left when the bus makes a right hand turn. The greatest movement will probably come when the bus brakes quickly.

Backwards, compared to you if you are seated or using the handle bar. Break it down to where you can understand it, I had a great study buddy for physics, she was a stripper, but she was so smart at book concepts. She told me to understand things in simpler context.

What if you have a coffee in your hand. You pull forward to cut in front of the traffic, what does that coffee do? It spills back onto your great blouse you had picked out for that day. Same thing with your item on the bus.

Physics was great, it was about how thing really act and then you apply the equations to what actually happens......for instance, did you know that when drive at nite, you outdrive your headlights at speeds of over 20 mph. Brights do nothing for you, you can't stop in time for something you see if you are going over 20 mph in the dark.....Very interesting, but I also had a great physics teacher

My stripper buddy would compete with me whoever had the better grade on tests got to have the other as a personal slave........I spent a lot of time rubbing her feet and lotioning her, but I did learn a lot, too. I loved physics, both because of the great teacher and my study budy and our competitions with each other.

• tgypoi

Backwards, it wants to stay still when the bus starts to move.

this is a foolish question. drop during stationary position doesn't roll the ball even if bus start moving after the drop