Do you consider Barack Obama, African American?

His mother is a white American, his father was from Africa, he isnt the descendants of the African slaves in America like most Blacks are. He was raised in a white environment..... so is he really an African American? or just is identified as that to get the support of African Americans and show a "positive progress" of our country towards race.

He is an American, but he is portrayed as an African American..why?

Favorite Answer

He is considered African-American because that has come to be synonymous with "black". He IS black. I'm sure there is no question on whether or not he is "black" when trying to get a cab, or when being profiled by police officers or when being prejudged in any other way.

that's a very solid question. aren't from now on all individuals, individuals? i'm no longer called an Anglo-American so why call him African-American. Then there is the actual undeniable reality that he could be only as Anglo-American as he's African-American. If someone is a aspect black they're called Black. at the same time as that similar individual is as a rule white with a dismal complexion they nonetheless are called Black. i wager white is purely white if all white. i believe that's left over from the days of prejudicial segregation (separation). We nonetheless segregate between White and any area of Black in our language. in extra modern cases the words have taken on a meaning for the holder of the time period. “African-American” promises an id that conjures to memory the wrongs of the previous. conserving previous wrongs alive in public communique enable bigots of any race legitimacy in a debate which could prefer to were laid to relax in the previous. I see human beings and in the adventure that they are black, brown or pink it only is one way my concepts categorizes interior the technique of popularity. In reliable governmental and academic structures we differentiate (separate) between races to promote some races over others quite then evaluate purely the content textile of ones personality. i wish I have helped to comprehend, besides the indisputable fact that there is in all likelihood no longer an ordinary answer. it can take a vast brush to cover each thing of the problem.

I consider Obama biracial. Why do we put up African, asian, italian, irish or any other ethnicity in front of American? I call it like I see it he is American of African and Anglo decent.

I consider him an American.

I am given up classifying Americans with hypens.

Race/ sex/ sexual orniations doesn't matter to me it is the character that counts.

That was Martin Luther King Jr's dearm when we look at the character rather than anything else.

Why question his upbringing at all, he is an AMERICAN, be it black, white, or mixed race.

I consider him to be (from what I've seen and heard) a good hard working, man.

He was raised in Hawaii. I think he is actually Hawaiian.

in africa they consider him a coloured.