Why do Indian people from India care so much about complexion?

Favorite Answer

Because India has a caste system similar to apartheid: people with lighter complexions are more priveleged than people with darker complexions. Their society also discourages people of a higher caste from mingling with people of the lower caste and vice versa. The segregation is so bad that they even have separate beaches for each caste.

I dont think they are the only ones... Have you seen how many dark skinned women use skin lightening creams etc Across races that have dark skinned people?

Well, an Indian friend of mine made me realise something. The lighter Indians are deemed so much more beautiful , and in every other Bollywood movie, a darker skinned Indian would never be the star of a movie or lead.

• John M

I thought that preoccupation was universal except that people in countries where dark complexion predominates, a fairer complextion is preferred. The opposite is true where a fair complexion predominates. I guess it comes down to a common view that beauty is what is rarer.

• Jassy

Yes you are right i got an indian friend and hes always telling me how much he envies white complexions. Im telling him that in western societies people like to sunbathe in order to lose that palid colour so the world is nuts, we are appealed by what we dont have

It's not just India, a lot of other nationalities view fair skin as more attractive.