south europe travel plan?

I plan to travel spain,italy and greece, or even other countries in between those this summer. I was wondering anyone can give me any advice as to which country i should start of with and how to get from one country to another.

Basically, any advice! I am new to Europe!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

People often overlook Austria - I just finished two weeks there and it continues to be one of my favorite places in the world.

My advice - don't try to go to too many countries - pick a couple and plan on spending more time in them. Visit the tourist places but then go into the countryside, stay at small inns and pensions, and get to know the people. In Europe the trains are very good - and renting a car can sometimes be affordable as well.

If you speak any of the languages - Spanish, German, Italian - so much the better. People will be delighted that you are trying and will be ready to help you out and welcome you. If you can move beyond being a "tourist" and get to know the people as well as the monuments, you will have a much more interesting trip. It's not how many places you visit, but what you experience - and that takes more than a bus tour or a guide book.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

well, since you are visiting Greece, i would suggest to see an amazing city in Macedonia, near the greek border - Ohrid. Here is something about it:

During the day you can go on any of the many beautiful beaches by the shore of the lake, do some shoping, sightseeing in the city or just sit in one of the many cafés in any of the narrow streets in the Old Town and enjoy. For all the young people, the nightlife is great and vibrant. The cafes work late at night, but there’re also so many nightclubs where you can carry on from there.

For sightseeing, there’re enormous many old churches, my favourite ones are Plaoshnik, more than 15 centuries old, St. Jovan Caneo, St. Naum… If you climb on the Samuil Fortress, just 5 min from the centre, you get amazing sight on the whole lake.

The Lake is clean, one of the oldest ones in Europe, from 1980 protected by UNESCO as a place of world cultural and natural inheritance. Most of the lake’s plant and animal species are endemic, which also makes Ohrid unique. The most famous among these are two types of Ohrid Trout. You should try them prepared on the traditional way. Mmmmm…

Ohrid is also known as the site of the first Slavic university run by St. Clement and St. Naum at the end of the 9th century. Ohrid, also, used to be the centre of the orthodox Christianity in the whole region. There’s so much history there…

And DO NOT miss a boat trip on the lake, especially at night, believe me one of a kind experience!!

I must not forget to mention the hospitability of the people there.

In the last few years Ohrid is soooo popular among foreign tourists, especially Greeks, Dutchmen, Bulgarians, Serbians etc. So, check it out and have fun!!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Start in Spain as this is the farthest west and go from there. RyanAir has flights from Spain to Italy for pretty darn cheap. Getting from Italy to Greece, I don't know. RyanAir doesn't fly to Greece that I know of. You might think about going by boat as it will be very beautiful.

When you are near a place that RyanAir flys to/from, you have Europe at your fingertips. They are very inexpensive and fly to LOTS of places in Europe. Check out the link below and go from there. You may end up seeing a whole lot more than the 3 countries you listed in your question.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Basically to just put it really simple..Choose a country that u least wanna visit, then end ur vacation that the country that u wanna visit the most..so u have more time there..Lets say Spain..then make ur way across...Italy..then Greece.After that its all upto u..depending on how long of a holiday u have..taking budget flights wud be ideal if u wanna do "country hopping" instead of interrails.U can check the budget flights below.And i strongly suggest Prague as ur next destination after Greece.Its a must see/go city,trust me,u'll not regret it..plus they dont use the euro yet,so u can stretch more on ur $$..Best way for u to see more of europe is actually pickin a country,then choose the neighbouring countries..Am not gonna go into details of wot the countries u have chose have to offer as am sure u have googled em up enuf to have em as ur destinations.Anyways i wish u luck & hope u have fun on ur trip.

Source(s): www.ryanair.com www.easyjet.com www.prague.cz www.eurorail.com
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i loved europe. i would suggest starting at one end (either in Greece or spain) and workin your way across.if you are going to be in spain anyways, i would suggest spending a few days in portugal. there is a very strong current, where i was anyways but the beaches are much nicer than those in spain. i also liked the food better. if you like fish, the fish is amasing. they catch it fresh daily except for sundays and it is resonally priced. getting across the boarder is no problem at all but if you are renting a veichle, make sure you check out b efore hand how much the drop fee will be if you are taking it to a different country. in spain, i really liked old marbella and rhonda. alhambra is amasing in granada and if you are there, markets are a good place to buy snacks (great orange and nuts and vegies). i missed barcelona ad madrid but both are supposed to be amasing. driving in spain is not difficult but you cannot turn right on a red light and you aren't allowed to turn across a freeway. one last place that i would suggest if you are in spain is the rock or gibralter where the monkeys are. lots of history and really neat place but if you go, walk across the border and take a taxi to the top. flying to france is most likely the cheapest way to get there if you are going from spain. i only got to see paris but i absolutely loved it. i spent jsut over a week there and felt like i saw less than half of what i should have. if you go to paris you have to go to the eiffle tour, versailles(which i unfortunatelly missed because of the strikes), go to the top of the arc de triomphe(at night is the nicest and you can see the eiffle tour from there which sparklese ever hour, so try to time that right), sacre coeur and notre dame. the louvre and champs elise are neat as well. you can also do winery tours around paris. i don't know much about the rest of france but there is more than enogh to see in paris. they have a great public transportation system and if you are going to spend a week there you can buy week passes but do not drive in the city! italy is also a ceat country. venice was my favorite city of the three i went to. you have to try to gelato there and there are also lots of really good restaurents. you can walk throught the street but it can be very confusing. the best thing to do is take a bus to the half of venice on the water, walk around a bit and then buy a ticket for the boat that acts as the bus. the main square is really neat. you can try to walk back but the streets are very confusing. there are lots of neat sculptures and amasing architecture in the city, just as there is in rome and florence. the gondola ride in venice are expensive but worth it. some of the people even point out interesting building and sculptures and ggive you a little history. i didn't make it to pisa but florence was a really nice city too. lots of art, architecture and history. this was the best of the three cities for driving in but if you can avoid renting a car, i strongly suggest it. the streets are narrow and driving can get a little crazy. also, public transportation is very good and nott too expensive. in rome, a tour bus was the best way to see everything. most tour buses stop at all of the main attractions and you can get off for as long as you like and walk around. there is the vatican, treve fountain, spanish steps, colessium and lots of other place that they may point out and give a brief history on, including certain statues and fountains. i haven't been to greece but i know that there are boats that that go there from italy that i think have fairly resonable rates. i also know someone who took a donkey ride up a t iny trail carved into the side of a cliff and they really enjoyed that. another thing that i have heard that you can't miss is an amphitheatre. i don't know how long you are going for butyou will have alot to see. you could spend at least a week or two in each place easily but if you did have extra time, driving through holland is supposed to be really nice and i really enjoyes switzerland(i was in zurich, luzern, andermatt and lugano) there is soo much to see everywhere you go! i hope you can use a few of my suggestions andi hope you have a really good trip!

• 1 decade ago

if you are looking for europe travel guide or europe travel package it will be best to visit www.europeanvacation2.com, here you can find all europe travel tips and european travel advice

Source(s): www.europeanvacation2.com
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.