Chair rails?What to do?

If I want to open up a small room with a chair rail should I paint the chair rail a contrasting color or a lighter or darker version of the lower or upper railing color.

Favorite Answer

go with a lighter color. Lighter colors open the room and brighten it.

• justa

A contrasting color will chop up the room it should match the lower color to make the room look taller. If its is a truly small room and you use interesting colors then lets say a white trim with a mocha wall ( upper and lower wall) it will become its own focal point and people won't notice the size of the room first thing.

If the only colors you will be using is an off white or light beige I think I wouldn't pickout the molding and just let shadows tell the story, its easy enough to change if you want a different look so you can play a bit.

I would paint all of the woodwork the same color and I would choose a shade of white that is not to stark...like a linen white or a lite creamy beige