janie

are free usb ports free? what is this and where does one get it?

I have sleep apnea and want to be able to read the nightly results on my bipap machine which I think requires a smart card, software, reader, and free usb port.

I am trying to figure out how much this will cost. I found the other items but the software says it requires a free usb port and 50mbs of hard hard drive.

My questions are

1. are free usb ports free?

2. what is a free usb port?

3. where do you get these?

4. how does one know if they have 50mbs of hard drive?

Please answer all these or as many as you can..thanks.

• p37ry
    Favorite Answer

I think you're simply confused by the terminology. What they mean is an "available" USB port.

If you have a newer computer, there will be one on it. A USB port is just the rectangular little input for your USB cable.

It should look something like this:

http://www.umbc.edu/oit/sans/helpdesk/articles/ima...

To see if you have enough drive space, double click "My computer", right-click on your hard drive (c:), and go to "properties". This will tell you how much space is used and how much is available.

Hope this helps!

A USB port is a slot on your computer that devices can be plugged into so they may interact with your computer (ex: digital camera, printer, keyboard). If you have bought you computer with in the past 4 or 5 years, odds are you have at least 1 USB port. When something says "requires a free USB port" the term free means free as in it is not being used, nothing being plugged into it. Follow the cord that your mouse keyboard or printer has. If the end of the cord that plugs into your computer is a rectangle about 1 centimeter in width that is a universal serial bus port or USB port .

And to find out if you have at least 50 MB of memory open up my computer right click on your hard drive( C: ), and hit properties. By free space there is going to be a number expressed in GB's which is gigabyte's, there are 1024 MB in a GB, so if you have at least 1 GB of free space you are fine. Hope this helps...

1. Free USB ports mean an unoccupied USB port in your computer. They are computer ports which you can connect all USB devices- usually webcams, keyboards, computer mouse(mice?) external harddisks etc. It is rectangular in shape on the computer's rear and some on the front.

As for checking harddisk space, (if you're using windows)go to "My computer", right click on your "C:/" or the hard drive you are installing your software onto. the properties dialog will come out , showing the free space available and the capacity of your hard drive.

wow. um...

1) When they mean "free", its referring to an "available" port. Usb ports are on the back of your computer.

3) look on the back of your computer.

4)open up "my computer", then right click on the c: drive. Free space is then listed under the "general" tab

• deni

the links below show you what USB ports are, you may already have one on you PC....to check you hard-drive space, go into "my computer" right click using your mouse on the "local disk" and go into properties, it should tell you how much free space you have....hope this helps you

usb port should be present in the device, you need to buy usb cable and connect them

Source(s): Find Computer Tutorials, Software Books,Interview Question And Answer at http://myitcareer.org/