Jenny asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

How should I go about teaching my son the correct way to hold his pet hamster?

Favorite Answer

Ive own hamsters for many years and friends have asked me how i handle them as if I were'nt afraid.

Personally, I wouldnt hold them by the nape of their neck (unless it is still very new to you!) In most cases, your son should spend time with his hamster and to let it get used to the smell of his hand. You can do this by putting your hand near it or you could feed it with some fruit off your hand. Let it know that your presence is not intrusion in his territory.

Only then, they are less afraid and not bite. Perhaps this is the time you and explore the possibility of picking it up gently. If its game enough to poke your fingers and showing signs that its interested in your hand, Viola! time to try picking it up slowly like a ball but cup it by gently and the bottom for support. Do this a few times and your son will definitely hold it right~~~

Well, if you do know how, like what the others have said.. by example is the best way. =)

cheers and have fun!

Assuming you know how to hold the hamster, without reannacting a scene from "Of Mice and Men", the best way to teach him is by example.

Demonstrate how gingerly you need to be with the little guy, then for the first few times support his hads with one of yours as he hold the hamster and have your other hand ready for rescue, just in case.

I have the best answer for your question "How should I go about teaching my son the correct way to hold his pet hamster?". Please click the link below to check my answer:

tell him to sit on the floor so he can't drop it!

then put the hamster in his lap and let him stroke it!

this way it can't be dropped and your son won't accidently squash him.

• p37ry

Tell him to hold it like an egg. An egg that walks and pees in your hand. :)

Hope this helps!

Ask a vet tech. They would know for sure.

...by example.

Right hand at nap of neck, left hand under it's feet.

Show him.