Satutory Rape in UK?

I'm in the process of writing a manuscript and I won't it to portray a relationship between a young woman and an older man. When I say young I'm talking under the age of 21. What are the laws on Stautory rape in the UK? What is the age of consent in the UK or in Ireland?

Thank you in advance.

Favorite Answer

The age of consent for sexual relations in the UK is 16 for both males and females. I think in the Republic of Ireland it may be 17 for each, but I am not sure of that country's laws.

Consensual sex between an older man and a woman of 21 is not illegal and does not constitute rape. If however drugs were involved the female could make a complaint on the grounds of non-consensual sex - in other words she did what she would not normally do because the male had drugged her. This is called 'indecent assault' in the UK. There is no such crime as statutory rape in the UK.

Unless its changed since I left, a defence to statutory rape (under 16) was if the male was under 21 and unaware of the true age of the girl. If the male is over 21 he is basically stuffed, even if she lied through her teeth about her age.

The age of consent in the UK for females is 16...

16 but guy might be pushing it if dad wants to kick his @ss

i think you should ak a sollicitor