hyj asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 1 decade ago

What types of wood is good for sound reflection?

I'm trying to find out what types of woods are good to reflect sound so that it creates a echo. Just like when u step into a steel barrel and u shout, and the sound echoes continously...

it will be great if there are other type of material that does it besides steel and brass...

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Sound is absorbed and scattered by soft materials and rough surfaces - so you should try a very hard wood like teak which has been smoothed and polished.

• ha_mer
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I don't think that you'll get as good echo results (if any at all) from a wood barrel. Wood is softer, wood barrels are make from several joined pieces, etc - non of which are conducive to good 'echos'.

• so far as accoustics is concerned... thin cork wood is attached to the surface of any wook to have a good sound effects. why purchase a high priced wood. you can use cheap wood and fabricate it with thin cork wood linings.. I hope this initiativeness may ponder your curiosity.. Gudluck!

• 1 decade ago

Yes, try a soft wood, and the application is crucial. You want to corrugate the surface instead of having it smooth.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Well, guitars are usually made from either birch, or cedar. Try those.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.