what kind of motorcycle did prince drive in purple rain?

was it all stock or was it modified in some way? what parts?

Favorite Answer

This question was asked in a Hondamatic forum awhile back. This is the real scoop ....

Tom Summers said...

Date: Tuesday, 7 May 2002, at 9:04 p.m.

In Response To: I need some help (Fernando)

I did the bike back in 1984. It is a Honda 400 automatic. I believe the year to be about 1980 or so. It was bought along with two stunt bikes that weren't autos brand new from a dealer as leftover models. The automatic had its Comstar wheels converted to spokes to resemble the stunt bikes. The fairng is a brand name Kutter. I bought them from a company in Iowa I believe named the Kutter company. The three seats are one off,with hot pink velour inserts custom made in Drag Specialties upholstery deaptment. The sissy bar was a standard Drag spec. item. The handlebars are the 6 bend variety. As for the bikes today...one of the stunt bikes remains purple and is on display at Paisley Park Studios in Chanhassen, MN. I redid Princes bike along with the thrashed stunt bike in black and gold for the movie Grafiti Bridge in about 1990. As for Sport Wheels having any of the bikes..doubtful...but any thing is possible. What they do have is a replica Kutter fairing that I sold them years back. They tell everyone that its off Princes bike.......wrong. Any other questions ?? I'd be more than happy to answer.....Tom.

=====

I WENT BACK AND CHECKED MY RECORDS TO BE SURE.

ITS ACTUALLY A 1981 HONDA 400A.

Prince Purple Rain Motorcycle

Nope, sorry, but you are all wrong. Prince rode Apollonia Kotero on a 1983 Honda Silverwing in Purple Rain. The front fairing was modified slightly. For those of you who don't know, the Silverwing was a Honda 550cc engine on a Goldwing (1100) chassis.

• DAVID4 years agoReport

You are just making stuff up. If you did even a little research you will find that literally everything you that you posted is outright untrue.

I did the 3 purple rain bikes for Princes production company back in 83 and redid 2 of them for the movie Graffiti Bridge. His bike is a 1981 Honda CM400A (automatic) and the stunt bikes are 5 speeds..

• Rachel

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axxey

For all of you that still wonder about this question, I may have a little clarification. The Honda Silverwing wins. I'm watching the movie as we speak and after Prince drops off Apollonia, a closeup on the bike revealed a huge HONDA. I also think that it may be the 650 vice 500 model.

• DAVID4 years agoReport

Wrong! The Silver Wing is a transverse mounted V twin. The movie clearly shows a parallel twin.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): kind motorcycle prince drive purple rain: https://tr.im/eZC3F

Honda 82 650 stock except for the faring on the fron. I have one just like it. The engine is sideways. They only did that for 2, maybe 3 tears. It is a classic. Mine is basically the same color as the one Prince was riding.

• DAVID4 years agoReport

It's a parallel twin, not a transverse mounted V twin.

that is not a goldwing or silverwing it is in fact a Hawk 400 (Hondamatic 400A) I rode a 1978 hawk the orange one, from when i was 15 til 1989, the goldwing chassis is way longer the silverwings head exhaust is at an angle so it is a hawk

Honda Silver Wing. Had some goofy backrest on it off an easy rider-style chopper. Paint job was 'custom', including the Price sign on the tank.

Can't remember exactly, but I think the rest was stock.

I am going off of memory but I believe it was a stock early 1980s Honda Goldwing