Sex tourism in Malaysia?

I thought that prostitution was illegal. If so why are there so many 'outlets' out there in the open and in fact, I've seen police patrolling around the darnest places like Bukit Bintang, Hj. Taib and so on? (of course, if you're from other states you should know that there are many popular spots... show more I thought that prostitution was illegal. If so why are there so many 'outlets' out there in the open and in fact, I've seen police patrolling around the darnest places like Bukit Bintang, Hj. Taib and so on? (of course, if you're from other states you should know that there are many popular spots too). Foreign women being smuggled aside, a LOT of Sabahan/Sarawakian women/girls are being found in these outlets too.

Unlike countries that legalise prostitution as a legal industry where their own women sell themselves to earn a living, most Malaysian prostitutes are being 'imported' or smuggled.

How big/lucrative is this industry for those Malaysian pimps anyway? How do they get away from being caught with all those human traficking and so on? Do you/they know that human traficking is a form of crime against humanity and in some cases, practice of racism?

Is the Malaysian government supporting them indirectly or what?