Did David Hicks have any chance at all??

I am curious as to others opinions on David Hicks...who was sent before a "international jury" (of US service personell how international is that?)...I would like to remind everyone of any pictures they have ever seen of a Western Man that has travelled to the middle east and as far as my experiences go whenever I have seen one of these photos the guy is holding some massive (outlawed in their country) weapon...so a photo does not prove any terrorism theory alone.

• yutu34
    Best Answer

I have no personal knowledge of this situation and have no opinion about whether Hicks is innocent or guilty, what I do know is that keeping ANY human being locked up, and subjected to 24 hours light, for 5 years WITHOUT CHARGE, IS A GROSS ABUSE OF HUMAN RIGHTS.

How can the administration of the USA justify the treatment of these human beings. Isn't it the sort of thing that causes the current hatred of American (please don't think I am attacking the American people, just this 'wacky' administration)

To the people who think what has happened to David Hicks is fair, then I suggest you think about how you would feel is a family member was locked up, without charge for five years...

David Hicks is on trial in a US Military Court which differs from a civilian court in that you cannot contest the prosecutors evidence or question witnesses,so you are stuffed to begin with.As for the weapon he is carrying that photo was taken in Bosnia not Afghanistan and just for the people that do not use their eyes and ears he was in Afghanistan before 9/11 with the Taliban not Al Qaeda.This at the worst puts him in a nasty place with a bunch of religous fantics (not unlike Bush & co)who probably done some nasty stuff (not unlike Bush & co but they Won didn't they?).So just stay well clear of any religous imbicle and you may kept your sanity for a while longer.

• molly

Well over in Australia it has been reported that Hicks has not placed his plea yet and the lawyers are in the middle of plea bargaining and it is also the lead story on the news at the moment.His lawyer has already said he wont get a fair trail so we not expecting the American military to give him one.If he is guilty we would like to know and he should be punished but if he we would also like to know why he has been in Guantanamo for 5yrs without being charged with anything.

International jury?????? Where did you get this? Take a look at Yahoo and their story. This is from it....."Hicks entered the plea before a military judge in a courtroom on this U.S. naval base." Where do you get your info? And what weapons "holding some massive (outlawed in their country) weapon" are you refering to. If the traitor hadn't been there he wouldn't be in the predicament that he is in. And by the way Gitmo is a lot better than the way the muslims hold westerners. Ask the widows of Berg, Pearl or any of the others who have been beheaded.

The treatment that David Hicks has received is criminal and is against human rights. David Hicks did not have an international trial - it was a U.S trial.

He did not have a chance. If I had been kept in a cage, tortured and not seen my family for 5 years - I would plead guilty to ANYTHING if it meant that I might have a chance to come home.

John Howard and Alexander Downer should be ashamed of themselves for ignoring this issue.

NO! He would of been found guilty anyway, because of the political agrements that would have been made by the US and Australia, So after 5 years and the only way out. What would you have done wether you were guilty or not?

He should be tried. he's Australian, no longer Afghan. seeing that he is going to be tried in a procedure that is exterior nationwide or global legal conventions, his nationality can make little distinction. extra important question is what crimes will he be charged with? the first lot of costs that were thrown out were conspiracy, "tried homicide by technique of an unprivileged belligerent" and supporting the enemy. (The cost of translating terrorist guides from a language you won't be able to examine became dropped formerly.)

I think the whole situation is terrible. The Australian Government has done nothing to help their citizen. In fact, they've denied him the justice of facing a fair court. The best thing we can do is bring him home right now, and sack the Australian Government when we get the opportunity to in November.

the abc reported his lawyers were sacked

they also reported he refused to plea

then i go to yahoo and they say he took a plea

he has no lawyers

any proof is only br prolonged duress ;treasoned phyciatric torture

reveal the torture logs

bring back his solger lawyer '

better yet nominate this lawyer unique

he has served his constitutional call

where others have abused it in the shame of the vp of bush