What's a really good italian pasta dish that doesn't involve alfredo sauce?

I'm getting tired of spaghetti & would like to kno some good dishes i can eat. but i hate alfredo sauce it makes me sick. anything with chicken's good 4 me. just no alfredo, got it?

Favorite Answer

Try using pesto, I love it.

1

Source(s): Delicious Paleo Recipes Cookbook : http://paleocookbook.raiwi.com/?cpxR

You can substitute any sauce instead of alfredo. When you make spaghetti you can add chicken, or saucage, pork, hamburger. A great web site to look for pasta dishes is www.allrecipes.com The recipes on that site are rated by others who have tried the dish. I have made many wonderful dishes on there. Here is a recipe I made three weeks ago that lots of people at church enjoyed. I got the recipe from www.allrecipes.com

Hearty Pasta Tomato Soup

INGREDIENTS

1 pound bulk Italian sausage

6 cups beef broth

1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes

1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce

2 cups sliced zucchini

1 large onion, chopped

1 cup sliced carrots

1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms

1 medium green pepper, chopped

1/4 cup minced fresh parsley

2 teaspoons sugar

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon dried basil

1 garlic clove, minced

2 cups frozen cheese tortellini

grated Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS

In a skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; add the next 13 ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or until the vegetables are tender.

Cook tortellini according to package directions; drain. Stir into slow cooker; cover and cook 30 minutes longer. Serve with Parmesan cheese if desired.

Source(s): www.allrecipes.com
  • Val K

I keep plenty of home made tomato sauce in the freezer, it can then be adapted to suit any food you like, i.e. meatloaf, seafood, pasta etc It is very easy and quick to make.

place lots of chopped onions, celery, crushed garlic, lots of fresh basil [torn] in olive oil and cook till onions are clear, change to a thick base saucepan and place mixture in it, and add a couple of tins of crushed italian [roma] tomatoes - if you have fresh all the better, I go to the fruit stall and ask for cooking tomatoes [you do not need to peel or deseed them, just chop up small]. Add oregano or if you don't have it then a very good shake of mixed herbs. Taste before adding salt & pepper

simmer on low heat for at least 1.2 hour and let cool. If it needs thickening just use "Arrowroot" this does not change the color of the dish like flour does. mix it with a little water and add to the warm dish, keep stirring whilst the dish heats again to cook the arrowroot - careful not to let it catch on the bottom of the saucepan.

let cool and freeze in small containers in the freezer.

To turn this into a great seafood pasta, just purchase some green prawns or shrimp, peel the shells off and take off the heads and tails, cook these with some onions, celery and strain - you then have the perfect addition to the above tomato sauce to make the pasta a seafood one, that is after you add the prawns and more seafood

good cooking

Alfredo has the cream. Linguine with clam sauce, shrimp or even diced chicken would do fine. Try this:

1 large, chopped onion

1 Tablespoon fresh minced parsley

2 or 3 cloves fresh minced garlic

1/4 cup of olive oil (or 1/8 olive and 1/8 butter...much richer)

7 oz. can of clams, undrained or 8 oz. chix or shrimp.

Salt & fresh-ground pepper to taste.

Saute onion, garlic, parsley in oil till the onion is golden brown. Add 1 cup of water, the meat/seafood, salt & pepper and simmer for 1 hour uncovered. Serve with pasta and cheese of choice.

I'm an absolute pasta freek and former chef. Have a slew of great recipes. E-mail passagerecording@yahoo.com.

being Italian and eating pasta 7 days a week, I am happy to infrorm you that there are hundreds of different sauces...

pasta al tonno..which is similar to a tomatoe sauce but it has red onions and tuna

You could also puree some cooked cauliflower cook w/ some chicken stock mix with some fettucini and toast some buttered bread crumbs.

Many variotions and too many too list but if you like it simple I suggest a good garlic and oil w/ chicken and some fresh chopped tomatoes and plenty of parmiggiano reggiano always buy the imported for true flavor.

Try the following I had it tonight and it is good, plus good for you because it includes fish. Instead of making kraft dinner, boil the macaroni, when it is done,then add a can of mushroom soup, a little milk, the cheese contents, a can of good quality tuna fish and half a can of peas. This is all done on the stove top in a sauce pan. It tastes really good, can be refrigerated and heated up in the microwave the next day. You could substitute the little macaroni elbows for any type of pasta including spaghetti or noodles. Try variations of this with brocolli pieces, more fresh mushrooms, or some other types of cheese on the top. This dish can be finished in the microwave if using cheese on top or in the broiler part of the oven, giving a little browning to the top cheese layer. A mexican rendition can be achieved by using hamburger seasoned with tacos or chili powder instead of tuna and topping it off with a layer of tacos covered with cheese and red and green peppers. Hey I am getting hungry again. This same dish can be refrigerated and eaten in the summer months as a cold plate. Enjoy.

Linguine w. garlic oil

A classic. Omit the anchovies if you wish, but I wouldn't recommend it.

The quantities here will serve 2

Ingredients

1/2 lb dried linguine

4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

half a 2 ounce can anchovies in olive oil

crushed red pepper flakes

Method

Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions.

Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan, add the garlic and cook until the garlic is light golden. Add the anchovies along with half the olive oil in the can. Cook the mixture gently until the anchovies fall apart. If the garlic begins to brown, remove it from the pan [though this may be an indication that your heat is too high]. Add 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking water. Keep the sauce warm while the pasta finishes cooking. Drain the pasta and put it back in the pot. Add the sauce and crushed red pepper flakes, toss to coat the pasta and serve immediately.

tuna spaghetti

garlic, tuna (1 can), sliced tomatoes (1 can), oregano, olive oil, spaghetti or penne.

fry the garlic in the oil, add the tuna (with a drop of its own sauce). let them cook for a while (5 minutes). add the tomatoes, and let everything cook for 20-30 minutes, at the end add the oregano.

boil the pasta, and 3 minutes before it's ready put it into the sauce and cook it for other 4 minutes (it has to be dry).

Pesto Pasta, it's basically a sauce made from olive oil, garlic, and basil, sometimes pinenuts. You can top off your finished plate with Parmeasan/Romano cheese. They have lots of receipes for this around, and even package mixes you just add the olive oil to.

Go to www.foodnetwork.com, they have tons and tons of recipes for anything and almost everything. They also have a lot of pasta recipes. Almost all of their recipes are tastey and easy to make. I really like Rachael Ray's 30-Minute Meals. She has a lot of tastey and simple recipes and a lot of pasta ones. I really like her recipes because they're very easy to make and are very quick (hence the whole 30-Minute thing)! Also, for more Rachael Ray recipes you could go to www.rachaelray.com and you can search through her recipes from her magazine and from her tv show.