Are primary brain tumors any easier to treat than metastatic brain tumors?

My Grampa just found out he had four brain tumors, and I'm trying to get as much info as i can. Thanks for any help.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, primary brain tumors can be easier to cure than metastatic brain tumors. However, it depends on the type of brain tumor. Brain tumors can be benign or malignant. If your grandpa has 4 brain tumors, it is most likely of metastatic origin. The next step, if they haven't done so already, is for him to have a workup of his entire body to determine the source of his cancer. This will likely entail a CT of the chest, abdomen, pelvis or a PET scan.

With this many lesions, he will most likely be offered whole brain radiation to try to slow down the rate of growth of each lesion. If there is one particular lesion that is causing him symptoms, that lesion may be ammendable to stereotactic radiosurgery (giving concentrated radiation in 1-2 fractions) or it may be ammendable to surgical resection. Chemotherapy may be an option, although most chemotherapy drugs have problems penetrating the blood-brain barrier and thus, do not get to the brain well. However, there are drugs like Temodar, which is an oral pill, that may offer him some benefit.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.