i cut my finger opening a can of beans. do i need a tetnus shot?

Favorite Answer

typically health care workers worry if the cut is in the foot as the bacteria that causes tetanus lives in soil. it has nothing to do with a rusty nail, anything that cuts or penetrates your skin can cause the tetanus bacteria to get into your body. if you haven't had one in the last 10 years, probably a good idea to get one at some point, but not an emergency thing with this injury.

i took care of a woman in the hospital who had tetanus and she had lock jaw. bet she wished she had gotten a tetanus shot!

just clean the wound with soap and water, keep it dry and watch for signs of infection (redness, warm to touch, green or whitish drainage).

I would advise you to get a tetanus shot ASAP. Metal cans contain alot of bacterias and food cans can be even worse(alot of handling with dirty hands during transport). I don't have alot of medical background but I am an EMR(emergency medical responder). Hope I could help.

the tetanus bacterium lives alot of places. Yes, you should get a tetanus shot. You have 3 days until it won't work anymore.

Depends if you have had one in the past ten years and also if the metal on the can had any rust on it. If its deep then you may also need stitches.

Source(s): EMT, plus i did this one time and had to get three stitches and a tetnus shot.

Probably not. That's usually for a rusty nail. But, it's not a bad idea to get one every 10 years. Won't do any harm and it could do a lot of good if something happens later.

only if the cut is really deep.