Can this be genetic??

My grandmother has always been "off" but my mother takes the cake. She was diganosed with PTSD, depression. But in the late 60's she was diagnosed with multiple personality disorder which definately fit her while I was growing up. I now live with her again with my young son. Besides being a jaded pesimist she yells alot but tells me that it takes two to argue. She just doesn't get what she does wrong. But oh well. I wanted to know if i am putting my child at risk being in the same house with her and if it is genetic? There are alot of problems with this family but I brought my son into her life before he was born and now she gets really upset and tells me that I am taking him away from her if I mention that we would like to move. I knew that seperating would be a problem but is it detremental to my son to stay around her? Her motto when I was growing up was " I just know that I will have you around till I die" and gee...here I am again. She is emotionally needy. Help.

Favorite Answer

Yes, some mental illnesses can run in families. This doesn't mean that you or your son will end up with an illness, but you should watch for signs and symptons just in case. You said she had PTSD, depression, and multiple personalities. It is possible that all of these conditions spring from one or more tramatic event in her past. Is she under the care of a psychiatrist? If not she should be.

As for living with her, if she is creating a disruptive or tramatic home life, it is definitely detrimental to your son. It is also detrimental to you if you feel trapped by your relationship with her. If she is unwilling to accept her illnesses and seek treatment you should move.

And you are not "taking him away from her" if you move, you are an adult and have every right to live on your own with your family if you chose. Most children don't live at home once they grow up, especially if they have children of their own. There is no reason she cannot be an active part of your lives if you live somewhere else. This is more than likely her illness speaking. You should never feel guilty for doing what is in your and your son's best interest.

My mother does not suffer from the same illnesses that you do, but she use to always try to pull the "I never see you" guilt trip on me and it took almost 10 years for her to recognize that I was an adult with a life of my own. Our relationship is now better than it ever has been before. It is better for both of you if you take control of your life and set boundaries if you need to.

• gladon

Best: A sufferer, contemplative spirit. But I'm no longer certain if that used to be nature or nurture! It used to be a present from my mothers and fathers even though. Worst: My brother. How I longed for another sibling, ideally one other brother rather than the only I did get. BQ: No, no longer relatively! Not very good besides! And that might be actual whether or not you intended actually or metaphorically. I dedicate beautiful severe cognizance to the matters I deem helpful. I am enormously distractible, but if whatever will get my awareness I wander away to it, wholeheartedly, I do not relatively 'juggle'. I uncover it so much, so much, a lot more enjoyable that approach.

Well, PTSD isn't...'contagious' per se. PTSD usually doesn't have a genetic component beyond the rare neurological sensitivity to stress; it's more a trauma or loss related condition.

Counciling may be requried, as this appears to be an issue of behavior and dealing with emotions/others. This really just seems like your mother is afraid to be alone and lonley, which is a common human condition rather than a significant mental illness or genetic condition.

You two may just need a good unbiased moderator to help you two talk things out.

Bad news, most diseases are genetic, as are most mental illness, good news is the way we HANDLE it makes all the difference. You are you, not your mom, not you grandmother, not your disease. YOU ARE YOU

• josh m

The messages she's sending you both now, and when you were a child, are emotionally manipulative. You say she's emotionally needy, and I would agree. Yes, many mental disorders are passed down through the generations. If it were my child, I wouldn't want the child growing up in that kind of atmosphere.