How does the concept of a republican democracy differ from a liberal one?

I need the concepts defined then the differences acknowledged.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

the us isnt a democracy its a republic. republics are goverened by the rule of law. democracies are a majority rules, ie anarchy.

When Benjamin Franklin came out of the Constitutional Convention in 1797, as the story goes, he was asked by a woman who was sitting there, Mr. Franklin, what have you given us? This quote is in the front of many copies of the Constitution. His answer was, a republic, madam, if you can keep it, a republic.

But I thought we have a democracy. I don't know if we cite that Pledge of Allegiance just from rote and never think about what it says. But you remember those words in there, the republic for which it stands, not the democracy, but the republic for which it stands. What is the difference between a republic and a democracy and why did Benjamin Franklin make a point of telling this lady, a republic, madam, if you can keep it?

Let me give you a couple of examples of a democracy that will help you understand why he didn't say that they had given us a democracy. An example of a democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what they are going to have for dinner. You may smile a little because you know that if two wolves and a lamb are voting on what you are going to have for dinner, it is not going to be clover.

Another sample, and this is a very sad example, but if you think about it, this is really an apt example of a democracy, and that is a lynch mob. Because, clearly, in a lynch mob the will of the majority is being expressed, and that is what people say democracy is, that the majority rules.

So what is a republic? There is an incident in our history that helps me understand the difference between a republic and a democracy, and this happened during the Truman administration. The steel mills were going on strike, our economy was already in trouble, and it was going to be in bigger trouble if that strike occurred. Then we did some manufacturing, and we made some steel, and it mattered. Today, it probably wouldn't matter, because so little manufacturing in steel is made here, but it mattered then.

Harry Truman in his take-charge style issued an executive order, one of only two, by the way, that the Supreme Court has set aside. What he said in that executive order was that he nationalized the steel mills that made the steel mill workers civil servants, employees of the government. As employees to the government, they couldn't strike.

That was a very popular action that had very high approval from the American people. In a democracy, that

would have been just fine. But the Supreme Court met in an emergency session and, in effect, what they said, Mr. President, no matter how popular that is, you cannot do it because it violates the Constitution.

You see, the fundamental difference between a democracy and a republic is a rule of law. In a democracy, what the majority wants prevails. In a republic, it is a rule of law that prevails

Source(s):

Then the last half of that statement, if you can keep it, I wonder what was in Benjamin Franklin's head, in his mind. Was he concerned about threats from outside our country? We were a long ocean away with sailing ships from any potential enemy. I doubt that his concern was a threat from without. I think that he was more concerned about a threat from within, a republic, madam, if you can keep it.

this is the fundamental difference with small variations between republicans and democrats. hence the names may make more sense.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Republican Democracy believes that the world is a scary place and we need to be protected (by the government); that "father" knows best.

The Liberal Democracy believes that the world is a good place but could be better, that it is everyone's job to help improve it; values ideas from both sexes and all generations.

• a
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

conservative democracy = small government, low taxes, few social services, creating jobs through helping businesses

liberal democracy = larger government with social programs, higher taxes to pay for services, creating better job environments for workers via laws

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

republicans think we elect people and they represent our view in Congress.

liberals think that we should run our country on polls or which ever way the wind blows.

Case in point the War in Iraq polls drop liberals think that is signal to pull out before the mission is done.

While republicans believe that we need to stay until the mission is done.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

republicans would throw your liberal *** in jail for asking such a question U-S-A U-S-A!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.