you plug it into your house so you can plug a cigarette lighter plug into it?

you plug it into your house so you can plug a cigarette lighter plug into it. it's a converter of some sort. it's so you can use a device in your house that uses only a cigarette lighter plug.

I don't know what to call it, and don't know where to find it. I want one desperatly. But I can't really find it if I don't know what it's called. please help me out here.

i had searched radioshack before i posted this, but came up empty. I didn't see it. I guess I'm just a bad searcher. But I looked through every item in that category. I don't know why I couldnt find it. Thanks much.

Favorite Answer

RadioShack

$29.99

AC-to-DC Portable Power Supply

Model: 22-505 | Catalog #: 22-505

Plug this handy AC-to-DC portable power supply into a wall outlet and use your wireless phone's 12VD...

It's at the bottom of the page, next to last.

Howdy. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "you plug it into your house so you can plug a cigarette lighter plug into it" - this wording has me a little confused!

;p

However, if you are referring to what I think you are, you are trying to describe an INVERTER.

Inverters take the 12v car battery voltage, and invert it into 115vAC(if you live in USA), or 230vAC(if you live in places like England, Australia, New Zealand, etc...)

This allows you to use a 12v battery to run domestic household appliances such as computers, stereos, VCR's TV's etc, all from a 12v battery(Cigarette socket).

TECHNICAL RANT FOLLOWS FOR THOSE INTERESTED:

There are some considerable trade-off's and limitations with the use of an inverter:

- Current drain on the 12v battery can be very impressive, meaning that if the vehicle is not running to recharge the battery, the battery itself will go flat very quickly, as the current drain from a stand-alone car battery in a full state of charge can be up to 20-amps or more(depending on load). If you are running something on the 115/230v side of the inverter, and that load at 115/230v is in the order of a few amps, the 12v load could easily be 25-amps or so!!!

This is because you can't get something for nothing, and inverting the voltage requires a trade-off, and this is generally speaking, the high-current capacity of the car battery.

- Inverters DON'T LIKE inductive loads, such as AC motors, heaters(i think reffered to in USA as 'Radiators' - orange glowing wire-type heating devices), compressors(such as a fridge for example), or fluro lights.

The reason inverters don't like these, is(generally speaking) because they represent a very heavy load to the mains during normal use. The heavy load may only be for a fraction of a second, however, the inverter is unable to sustain that heavy load - even for a fraction of a second.

Why?

Inverters have a very high output impedance, meaning that high currents in the output of an inverter are not usually supported - primarily due to the load this would put on the 12v car battery - heavy inverter loads on the 115/230v side could correspond to 100-amp or more loads on the 12v side - your car battery would be flat as soon as the load was connected!!!

:D

If it helps at all to understand all this, look at it this way:

- The mains voltage in your house has a relatively low impedance, meaning that heavy loads can be connected for a short period, and only result in a momentary drop in the line voltage, and as soon as the device has started, the current requirement drops back, and the load is happily running.

- Inverters have a high impedance, and cannot support high current loads - not even for short periods.

Take a fluro light(old style, not the newer 'Soft-start' ones) - when first powered on, there is a very heavy load - in the area of 15-20-amps or so, for the period when it is going "flick! flick" just before it lights up and stays lit. Once lit, the current consumption from the line voltage is very small, however this "Startup current" is something that the Inverter can't handle!

:D

For more info, goto Wikipedia, and search for "Impedance".

Saw one there just yesterday, in fact, at the Radio Shack...not sure what it's called either, but previous respondent was correct that they have them! It's an adaptor, and not that expensive.

Radio Shack, you have questions, they have answers.