OscarsMum asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

So I decided to trim the hair around my maltese's mouth yesterday...?

It was all dirty w/ food - so I figured I would trim it a bit, so you know the rest of the story - the poor pooch's face now looks a bit funny and the hair is all choppy. My question is, how long before it grows in a bit??? I only cut about a 1/2 inch off (never again!! next time - groomer's!!)

Favorite Answer

If it really bothers you, a groomer might be able to straighten it out a good bit.

Although I'm sure the pooch probably doesnt mind....

Its going to grow out uneven so you might as well go ahead and try to have it fixed.

when grooming the face...... Brush out as much as possible, then wash the face, brush the hair from the eye area forward to the tip of the nose. then cut vertically at the nose. this Will shorten the hair and still give a nice round shape. If it is the discolouration that you are worried about, try a bit of baking soda to clean the area.

Source(s): Used to have a sheepdog and white faced Shi tzu.

dogs hair grows fast. give it a couple weeks or take him to a groomer to let them trim it up so it wont look so chopped. and try a wet wash rag around the face especially the eyes to remove dirt and food its easier than cutting.

Source(s): vet tech / expierence

The previous owner of my maltese did the same thing...except she cut it really really short and choppy. It's been around three weeks and its barely growing back now. The hair around the rest of his body seemed to grow much faster though.

That is so sweet! You taking such good care of your baby (-:

It will take about 6 weeks to fill back in and she will look fine.

Grab a box of baby wipes at the store and keep them handy when her little face is dirty.

Well, I have cut my pups fur, and it grows back within like 2-3 months for me, i have a shi-poo (Shitzu/poodle)

Do'h - did you think about washing it??? But the dog isn't going to mind what it looks like, even if you show it a mirror.

It will take about a month to grow back in.

Source(s): Former Golden breeder and owner for over 20 years

Just so you know, your dog will not be mad at you. Stuff tangled in his fur hurts so you did him a favor.

Three weeks at the most.