I want to start potty training my 19 month old so when the new baby gets here in nov, it wont be 2 in diapers?

My daughter is 19 months and i have a new baby coming in nov. How do i start potty training her so she wont still be in diapers when the baby gets here?

Favorite Answer

Start by telling her she is a big girl about everything. Then tell her she is a big girl and needs to use the potty like big girls do. I did that with my son. Everything was your such a big boy. Then when i started potty training he wanted to be a big boy with that too. I used pull ups mostly at night. Just to save time on washing bedding. Two of mine are 18 months apart and when my daughter came along he was potty trained during the day but not at night that seemed to take some time. I didn't want the two diaper thing either. When the baby comes have her be your helper. Have her get the diaper changing stuff so she can relate that diapers are for babies. Keep telling her she is a big girl. Take her along when you go to the bathroom and talk to her about it while you are in there. Sometimes it helps that when you are done to set her on the potty or even at the same time put her on her potty. Good luck remember to just be patient they get it eventually and they all learn it at different times. If she isn't ready then she isn't ready. Just stop and try again in a couple weeks.

Source(s): mom of 4

Unfortunately, I agree with the others. If you try to potty train her before she is ready all you will be doing is potty training yourself to take her to the potty. Her body isn't mature enough now to be trained. Along about August or September when she is two she may likely be ready. I would give her the idea of going in the potty but not force her to try it. And the fact is, even if you ARE successful this summer or fall she will more than likely have a few accidents when the baby arrives as an attention gaining measure. Good luck! I'd wait a bit, though.,

take her out to buy a potty and pretty undies, lots of undies, then throw away diapers first 2-3 days will be tough with a lot of laundry but by day 7-9 it will be done, do it now she is old enough, i have five kids all trained this way by 18 months

my son was about that age when i introduced him to the potty. what i did was took him with me to buy him a potty. i set it up against the opposite wall in my bathroom (so that way he would be facing me while i'm going potty) and he still wore diapers but everytime that i had to go to the bathroom i would take him in the bathroom with me and take his diaper off and set him on his potty and said shhhh...listen,( then i would go potty) and after i was done we would clap and i would let him flush the toilet! he gradually learned to use the potty!

Well, that's really early to start. Most babies can't control their bladder that early on, especially boys. I have 2 in diapers.. it sucks, but it isn't really a big deal. Talk to the pediatrician, but chances are, he'll tell you that it's too early as well. Probably not what you want to hear (it wasn't what I wanted to hear either) but it's true. They're not capable *usually* at that age.

Wait until she's ready! I know the feeling though. I have 2 in diapers right now. It's not too bad!

• Jane

I told my older baby that she couldn't wear diapers anymore because I needed them for her baby sister that was coming. She believed me and the same thing worked for bottles!

• monkey

From what I have read children can't realy control themselves until 22 months...yu may be setting yourself up to have a lot of accidents...If it helps my two children are 19 months apart and they are both in dipers. it's not that bad, you get used to it real fast and then it's just normal everyday...

I think you should wait. You potty train when your child is ready, to make him more independent, not to make things more convenient for you.

best way to potty train is to wait till she is 2 yrs old.