Genetics???

How many genes does each body cell have for each trait.

How many genes does each gaemete have for each trait?

What is an allele?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I'll make it easy and clear.

This was from my homework sheet too

1) How many genes does a person have for a regular trait?

Answer: 2

2) How many genes for gametes *(sex-traits)

Answer: 1 (it is haploid)

3) Define allele

Simply put, an allele is one gene of a pair.

• 1 decade ago

Not sure exactly what you are asking, but here goes:

Well, simply an allele is a version of a gene. So, just as an example, an animal might be able to inherit either a black (B) coat or a brown (b) coat, and which is expressed is dependent upon the alleles that were inherited from the parents. So if B is dominant and b is recessive, then an offspring could possibly inherit Bb (one from each parent) and express the dominant trait. The offspring inherited one dominant and one recessive allele. The alleles for every gene are located at particular loci on a chromosome. Whether you express a dominant or recessive phenotype depends on what happens during independent assortment, during meiosis.

Body cells, or somatic cells contain 46 chromosomes, while the sex cells contain only 23. Now if you want to know how many genes are in the human genome, there are somewhere between 20 and 25 thousand genes.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

each cell has all of the DNA that is in your body, which consists of the DNA from both your mother and father. there isnt a set number of genes for a trait, so i cant give you and exact number, but it would be double the amount that you need, because you have both sets in a regular body cell. In a gamete, you only have one set of information, because the cell is preparing to combine with another. this is known as the haploid number(n). (diploid is the # in a normal human body cell (2n). an allele is the place that a trait is found on the gene and the trait itself basically

Source(s): my bio class
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.