How is it possible to have a consensus about what should or should not be illegal in a country with several...

How is it possible to have a consensus about what should or should not be illegal in a country with several hundred million adults from al races, religions, and walks of life?

*for you people to to know who is answering this question, this is homework help for me. So this question reall confuses me. I would love some help from you. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Well, the laws usually conform to what the majority votes on. However, a law can not be passed that oppresses or infringes upon the rights of any individual as stated in the constitution. For example, a law can not be passed that would say that only blue-eyed people have to pay taxes. The majority of the population has brown eyes and therefore if something ridiculous like that went to a vote the majority would vote in favor of themselves resulting in blue-eyed people being the only group paying taxes. Catch my drift? It's still an imperfect system but we do our best. As long as we have options as voters, we are not all that bad.

A real concensus may not be fully realized but, it is possible to determine what the MAJORITY of people want and agree with. That majority is often called a consensus.

It's not, really. That's why we have democracy, whatever the majority decides, goes. Consensus be damned.

that's why we vote. 1st we get a bill passed onto the ballot. then we vote on it.