Wisdom teeth?

my daughter has braces and her wisdom teeth are starting to come in...should we ignore them or tell her orthodontist or dentist?

I forgot to mention she is twelve.

Favorite Answer

tell them both i got mine and hurt so bad i had to have them taken out

If she is twelve it most likely that they are not her wisdom teeth. Most people get their wisdom teeth when they are 18-26. However, when you are 11-13, you get a next set of molars (ie you get 4 more back teeth). These are most likely the teeth that are starting to come in. I don't think that these teeth will interfer with her braces but I suggest bringing it up at her next orthodontist appointment just to be sure.

Source(s): I used to study teeth.
  • Emily

You have to alert the dentist and her orthodontist. The teeth coming in could affect her other teeth if they aren't addressed properly. They can still take out her wisdom teeth if she has braces, but they might decide to wait until they come off, depends on the case. Best of luck!

Tell her orthodontist, as the wisdom teeth could come in and put pressure on the teeth that are being straightened out. My wisdom teeth came in after I had my braces removed, and I had to get a secondary retainer to restraighten my teeth. Since she already has the braces, you can possibly avoid that by letting the orthodontist know.

The orthodontist and dentist probably already know their position from x-rays. When I got my braces, my orthodontist was able to tell me that my one wisdom tooth was coming in sideways. Sure enough, it did. Unless they are bothering her, I wouldn't worry about them. The orthodontist will be able to tell if your daughter's mouth will be able to handle the teeth coming in. A dentist could likely tell you to pull them just for the money. That's what my son's dentist did and I chose not to have them pulled because they aren't bothering him.

No definitely do not ignore them because once they start to grow in you have to make an appointment to get them taken out.Because if you just ignore wisdom teeth it will hurt a lot more to get them taken out. But if the dentist says she has enough room for them then she should be OK.

Good Luck!

Let the orthodontist know, if the teeth move in they could crowd her other teeth. They may want to remove them to keep them from causing trouble. Just make an appointment and talk to the doc, he will know how to handle it.

They more than likely will not take them out yet, she is too young, her mouth is still developing. You can mention it and they can take X-rays and watch them but i doubt at 12 it is her wisdom teeth. it probably is the 2nd molars which are not the wisdom teeth (3rd molars)

Tell the ortho. this happend to me... and i had to get my wisdom teeth removed last may because the ortho didnt want my wisdom teeth screw up my straight teeth which my braces did for me* Most of ppl who had braces get their wisdom teeth out so they dont have screwed up teeth =)

Source(s): Personal Experience
  • momof3

Defiantly let the orthodontist look at the to assess the crowding issue. He may have to adjust the wires.

take her to the dentist to see if the teeth are coming out the right way.