How do u get rid of icons on the task bar?

I have lots of annoying icons on my task bar on the bottom right of my screen, how do i remove them permanently?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Go to start->run

type msconfig

select the startup tab

Deselect those items which you do not want to be displayed when your computer starts in the taskbar.

Click ok

• 1 decade ago

It depends on the icons and your OS. Sometimes you can right click on the icon and you will be offered a series of prompts such as close or properties. If you are offered close and you select it, it will sometimes give you the option to remove the icon permanently. If you select properties you may be given the option to remove them. If this is not an option you can go to Start\Programs\StartUp and remove what you don't want to run. If neither of these is an option or it does not remove it permanently and you have Windows XP or Vista you can use msconfig. Click start/run and then type msconfig and hit enter. Go to the Startup tab and uncheck the programs that are starting. you need to be careful at this point that you don't mistakenly remove programs from your startup that should be running like your virus or adware protection. When you are done, select Ok and your system will reboot. When it comes back on you will be given a chance to re-enable any of the selections you disabled. If you are running Windows 2000 you can edit your registry to exclude startup programs by going to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and deleting the entries you do not want starting up, just make sure you backup your registry before removing anything.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I don't know if this works for anything but XP, but you can try:

Click on Start, Settings, Task Bar & Start Menu. At the bottom is a tab called Customize. When you click on that, it should open up all the tabs on your task bar. From there you can select how you want them to appear, or to never appear.

• G
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

This icons are probably adware/spyware. Use these scans to remove it.

All of these are ones that I personally use and all are free.After you install any of them,make sure you update them to get the full affect.

Download Grisoft AVG 7.5 Anti-Virus,Anti-Malware.(free)

AVG is a collection of anti-virus protection tools that gives you full protection against viruses, worms, Trojans and malware. AVG provides you with all that you need to be completely protected: including a tool for scanning your hard drive and e-mail, as well as a real-time shield to prevent infections.

Top Features

» Provides automatic update functionality

» Its a reliable anti-virus scanning engine

» Provides free Virus Updates for life

» Options to define file name extensions

» Real time protection with resident shield, email scanning

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/...

Spybot - Search & Destroy detects and removes spyware, a relatively new kind of threat not yet covered by common anti-virus applications. Spyware silently tracks your surfing behaviour to create a marketing profile for you that is transmitted without your knowledge to the compilers and sold to advertising companies. If you see new toolbars in your Internet Explorer that you haven't intentionally installed, if your browser crashes inexplicably, or if your home page has been "hijacked" (or changed without your knowledge), your computer is most probably infected with spyware. Even if you don't see the symptoms, your computer may be infected, because more and more spyware is emerging. Spybot-S&D is free.

http://www.spybot.info/

http://superantispyware.com/

SUPERAntiSpyware is the most thorough scanner on the market. Our Multi-Dimensional Scanning and Process Interrogation Technology will detect spyware that other products miss! SUPERAntiSpyware will remove ALL the Spyware, NOT just the easy ones!

Easily remove over 100,000 pests such as SmitFraud, Vundo, WinFixer, SpyAxe, SpyFalcon, WinAntiVirus, AntiVermins and thousands more!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • lieser
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

as quickly as you identify what the icon is for bypass to:- start up, Run, variety MSCONFIG, % the selective startup tab and uncheck the field that pertains to the programme contained in the taskbar, this programme will then in ordinary terms start up in case you ask it to.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

use ur right click when you point at the task bar

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.