I suffer from insomnia too. Here are some things that make a big difference for me. Hope it helps!
1. Work out hard in the morning. Alternate between cardio and strength training every other day.
2. Cut out caffine, suger, over-processed foods and simple carbs. Don't eat meat within five hours of bedtime.
3. Just before you close yourself in your room for the night, drink cinnamon tea. You can buy it at a health store, or just boil cinnamon sticks and some cocoa powder in a cup of water. This tastes realy good with cream or honey. DO NOT SWEETEN IT WITH SUGAR or you will be up all night.
4.Have a simple yoga routing to do just before bed. Do not try to "work out" here. Just do streatches and try to relax. Play Soft instumental music in the background. My favorite is the panpipe and gentle drums. Dim the lights, maybe burn lavendar or cinnomon incense. The goal here is to have a soft, relaxing atmosphere.
5. Learn to meditate before bed. Sit in a chair or cross-legged on the floor. Keep your spine straight. Slowly relax your whole body. Concentrate on your own breathing. Follow your breath until you are compleately relaxed. Then repeat a one syllable word either aloud or in your mind. The classic is "Ommm" but do whatever has meaning for you. Maybe try "love" "joy" "peace" or "calm".
6. Keep a clean room. A messy room adds to the clutter your brain had to deal with. Always make your bed in the morning, and try leaving lavendar, either dried poporii in a pouch, of fresh sprigs on your pillow. Lavendar relaxes the body and calms the mind. Make sure to let pleanty freash air into your room.
7. Hot steamy showers or baths before bed can help you fall asleep fast and stay asleep.
Just try to controll stress and whatever is bothering you, do not let it in your room. Make your room a safe haven. Keep distractions to a minimum and practice "turning yourself off" to the world and whatever stresses you out. At night, it doesn't exist. Whatever it is can wait until morning.
Hope this is helpful to you!