Can you identify this light, single engine USAF aircraft?

This aircraft flew over the house today while I was transplanting my corn seedlings to the garden.

I live right next to a airport so single engines are always whizzing by and I hardly notice.

However, this one did not land and it passed by with a nice loud sound...and with some zip. I suspect it was just sightseeing over the lake. That happens a lot.

Unusual design. The fuselage ended and two struts continued to the stabilizers. It was grey. It sported the star on the starboard wing and "USAF" on the port.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/silver_smyth/photo/294...

(Sorry about the drawing. I am no artist.)

Nope. Wasn't the OV-10. Similar design though.

The aircraft I saw was smaller and only had a single engine on the leading front. Not on the wings.

Nope. Not a P-38. Again, the plane I saw only had one engine.

You know what. I bet it is the O-2 Skymaster, Cessna 337. I just didn't notice the rear engine. (It flew directly overhead and I was unable to see the profile.)

Favorite Answer

What you drew is definitely a push me/pull you. O2. I was intimately acquainted with one long enough to get shot down. That probably has something to do with not liking to fly unless I'm the pilot.

Sounds like a Cessna 337, an inline twin engine that pulls from the front and pushes from the back. Big cabin with twin booms going to the tail. I do not know the air force calls it. Look for a movie, BAT 19 or BAT something. Aircraft was used as an observation craft with crew of one or two.

Cessna o-2B super skymaster, a Vietnam aircraft

go to yahoo image type in single engine Vietnam 1st row last one

the drawing looks something I saw on the history or military channel

Source(s): I look it up

Probably an OV-10 which is a spotter plane, the Air Force may call it something different but the Marine Corps calls them OV-10

The North American Rockwell OV-10 Bronco is a turboprop-driven light attack and cargo aircraft, and it looks like your drawing. Here's a top view - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Rockwell_OV-10_...

It has twin propellers though, your's doesn't...