What's the longest you've known anyone with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia to live?

I was diagnosed 2 months ago.

Favorite Answer

Well you se...nowadays,chronic lymphocitic leukemia, is compatible with NORMAL average life span,

Why? because, now, it is diagnosed more accurately, and its is so slow with proper treatment, that a normal life span can be expected (by that, I mean, that if the patient follows his-her treatment, life expectancy is no different from other people the same age).

With chronic control of the leukemis with cytostatics (cladibrine, arabinosid cytosine etc) there will be less symptoms of gum bleeding, skin hematiomas, scxeral bleeding (red eye due to focal small hemorrhages) etc

The biggest risk is, that because of the white cells that defend our body (Lymphocytes) are NON functional in a great proportion, in the specific case of chronic lymphocitic leukemia (CLL) the patient can be exposed to more infections by bacteria and some viruses that the average population. Checking possible sources of infection every 6-8 weeks is ideal.

checking your lymphocite count and peripheral blood smear every 2 months helps a lot also.(checked by the internist or hematologist)

In general, with good prevention, the span of life is as I said, equal to the normal population.

Remember that. the word cancer is hateful, however we have the fast growing, and very slowly growing types in the spectrum

Chronic lymphocytic leukemia, belongs to the second. (very slowly progressing production of non functional leukocytes) is normally seen6 times mora in males, and after the age of 65 (could appear earlier in some scanty cases)

Source(s): I am a licensed physician (Germany)

I really sorry. i dont know the longest person to live with that type of leukemia and there are alot of dumb people on this site who give dumb answers so I wouldnt trust the answer to a question this important to anyone here. didnt your doctor talk about the prognosis to you?? I hope you have the best doctor possible and dont be afraid to ask as many questions as you have. best of luck. stay positive.

I'm sorry to hear that, it depends on the person and what treatment your oncologist and you decide on.

Here's some help:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancerinfo/pdq/treatment/CLL...

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/search;jsessionid...

I am very sorry to hear that. Check out www.hacres.com. You don't have to have a shortened life. There are many people who have survived. Check it out; I think you'll enjoy what you see.

I wish you a long, healthy life.

CLL is not a very aggressive disease. It can be controlled and treated and you can actually live for a very long time. Just take your therapy and do the followup in time.

Well I don't think God stamped you with an expiration date did He? Did you have someone check you all over to see if there was one???

Have faith and pray really hard. Have everyone you know pray for you too. I will pray for you.

i have a cousin that is now 8 and he has had ALL for 5 years now

• Char

Check this site for info:

http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/hm_lls

Best wishes

Source(s): Lymphoma Survivor