Any suggested jazz music?

I want to download some jazz/blues/soul music for my iPod, but I don't know much about the subject. I need the basics, like Nat King Cole, Billie Holiday, Frank Sinatra, you know. Any suggestions?

Favorite Answer

I agree with the Dave Brubeck recommendation. Also try Wes Montgomery, Gil Evans, and Joe Sample.

A good guitarist that I like-- Marcus Miller.

And Miles Davis & John Coltrane of course!

Good vocalists: Betty Carter, Dianne Reeves, Nina Simone, Sarah Vaughn, Ella Fitzgerald.

I know that there are some other good artists that I'm missing! I'm drawing a blank. :-)

Yes, Dave Brubeck. Specifically, 'Time Out, Take Five' - He experimented with rhythm and time signatures, which is one of the things jazz is all about. Yet the music is really accessible.

There are many brilliant jazz players like Miles Davis, Charlie Parker etc. but it can be a little 'out there' and harder to appreciate till you are used to the genre.

I like jazz drumming, like Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa.

Krupa actually invented the drum kit as we know it, a great innovator.

That's one reason Charlie Watts of the Rolling Stones is about my favourite pop/rock/blues drummer. He has a jazz sensiblilty and can do a shuffle rhythm like crazy. And he doesn't use a big fancy kit either.

If you like piano, check out Oscar Peterson.

Louis Armstrong,Ella Fiztgerald,Duke Ellington,Count Basie

wow try dave brubecks take five! also chick correa band is cool a great jazz band called THE YELLOWJACKETS!!!! and The crusaders,spyrogyro,rippingtons,and old school ones DUKE ELLINGTON-john coltrane...

Herbie Mann....Mingus...Buddy Miles Express just a few quick suggestions. Depends on what your looking for...Mann...Flute...Mingus..Sax...Miles...Drums

when i think of jazz there is no-one better than kenny g