Tiffany asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 decade ago

Make up & Hair Run-through?

My mom and I want to go a couple weeks before the wedding to get our hair and make-up done, just to kinda see how its going to look. I have heard of many brides doing this. My question is...what do I do after the hair and make up is done? I will have my tiara and veil on.....do I just take my hair down and take the make-up off? I feel as though that would be a waste of money. All you brides out there that have done this, let me know please~

Favorite Answer

Well, when I did the 'run through' I was having my bridal pics taken that day. So, it really wasn't a waste, but, maybe you can go out and party that night and your hair and make up will look ravashing or you can have a semi formal get together at your place of choice w close family and friends.

Speaking from as someone who didn't do it - that is one thing I would probably have done differently. I had ideas and pictures of what I wanted and had spoke with the hairdresser previously. However I lived 9 & 1/2 hrs from the place I was getting married and I didnt actually go there before the wedding. I found that even though my hairstylist claimed she had plenty of experience, she was lost on mine and my bridesmaids hair. It took her 3 hours to do my maid of honors hair alone. And 5 for mine. It looked nothing like I wanted, and I could have done it myself for free! I was dissapointed but because it didnt look horrible I went with it (plus I had no time to do anything else) Its a good idea to go so that you are certain they are capable of doing what you expect and that you know you will like it for the big day.

I suppose it depends on what you're having done, if its a very formal "up-do", you could go out with it like that, to a fancy restaurant, etc

if not, I'd take the veil and tiara out as this is too OTT for everyday obviously, and then just go out on the evening with v posh hair!

I'm so thankful I did my run through because I was able to tell them what I liked about it and what I didn't. My run through was a week before the wedding so I made a date with my finance to go out to eat and I enjoyed dressing up, all I did was remove my tiara... I've also heard of having your bachlorette party that night since you're looking glamourous! :)

first, congratulations on getting married :D

secondly, i would definitely recommend doing a run-through. i did when i got married and it helped me out so much !! i actually kept my hair done and makeup on for as long as i could; timing it really - that way i would know how long my hair would stay just so, and how long my makeup would last without re-touching it. it prepared me so that when it was actually my wedding day, i knew that the stylist has to use a stronger hairspray.

also, a lot of people use that time to get their pre-bridal pictures taken. my one friend did that and she said it helped prepare her for the actual day; cause then when she saw the pictures, she knew what poses she like and didn't like.

so dont think of it as a waste of money, think of it more like an investment !!! :D

don't take your hair down and don't take your tiara off----wear a sundress or a strapless dress after the wedding and leave your hair alone.....when else can you look like a million dollars in a simple summer dress with your hair all done up????

Hey it's a once in a lifetime---so keep the hair up!!!

I felt the same way until I decided to schedule my bridal pictures right after I had my trial hair and makeup. Get your bridal pictures taken that way you can see how the hair and makeup actually look in photographs.

you get the hair style without the tiara nad veil

• Lydia

Well, you take off the headgear and go out with your mom for supper and a show! Nice opportunity to have fun with your mom!

I would do that and then go out...maybe have an engagement party if you haven't already....or a ladys night out.....maybe just a romantic night with your soon to be hubby....there are lots of options....